Some Outdoor Swim Meet Pics

My kids are in involved with a local swim club, so I decided to give this a try. I've been struggling with finding the best spot to shoot from and what shutter speed should I try to use. Most of these are shot at 1,250. All comment are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike, looks about right to me. Images are nice. Angles look good too. Wish we had outdoor swimming, light looks so much nicer than the dungeons I shoot in!!

My kids are in involved with a local swim club, so I decided to give this a try. I've been struggling with finding the best spot to shoot from and what shutter speed should I try to use. Most of these are shot at 1,250. All comment are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.
See why we buy nice cameras and lenses? Beautifully done Mike. BTW, props to the photographer as well :smile:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike, looks about right to me. Images are nice. Angles look good too. Wish we had outdoor swimming, light looks so much nicer than the dungeons I shoot in!!
Thanks Geoff, beginners luck. It was cloudy during the meet, perfect light.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
a very well rounded set! Only nitpick would be moving sideways a tad or getting a little lower on #1. Nice work.
Thanks, I was trying to get as low as I could to avoid the flags but they were hanging to low. Next swim meet I may be laying on the edge of the pool.

Real Name
Ken St John
Excellent series! I love your high shutter speed shots, they are just so clear. I get very few opportunities for outdoor meets ... almost all of our meets are indoors where I need to push just about everything!!

In general, I try to get crawl stroke (aka freestyle) from the side, when they are breathing, and butterfly/breast stroke head on. Shooting from the end of the pool looking square down the lane is best. Backstroke is also best looking head on, but on their return trip when you can see the face. Some of the best shots I've seen of backstroke are from a high angle, although that's pretty much impossible to do at most pools.

In addition to the kids, it's sometimes fun to get the parents/volunteers working behind the scenes as timers and so on as well.

Enjoy the light!! And I hope your kids continue swimming ... my son is in his seventh year of competition and just finished his freshman (9th grade) year of HS swimming as well as club swimming. It's great exercise, good for the kids as they grow, and one of the nicest groups of parents/volunteers I have ever run across.

Look forward to the next set!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom