Some overcast birds and a strange bird. ;-)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I met Gary at the dam at Guntersville Sunday morning. The weather was terrible, but the birdies were pretty numerous. I got virtually no good shots, but since I don't have anything else to post, here goes.

All taken with the D2Hs / 400 2.8 + 1.7 TC. Note that the ISO settings were relatively high (320 - 800), and the aperture was at or near wide open (f/4.8 to f/5.6). In general, the shutter was 1/250th.

LGH. This shot was early in the morning, when it was REALLY overcast and DARK. I boosted the EV quite a bit and it still looks dark. This is full frame BTW.
    [​IMG]

YCNH. This is a pretty deep crop (about 20% of the frame). It is about the best light, albeit still overcast, that we had Sunday.
    [​IMG]

Devil Bird (Kingfisher). Not a very good shot, but it does prove that we saw them. Also a very big crop.
    [​IMG]

And finally, my shooting buddy (the strange bird I referred to), Gary, AKA Hangin Tree. Seriously, Gary lives about 5 miles from the dam and knows the best shooting areas there. I greatly enjoyed our day together, in spite of the weather. :smile:
    [​IMG]

2. Wow!! Overcast and you still nailed the shots!! Kudos to you Frank!!

It's also nice to finally meet Gary too!! I love his eagle series.

3. Now my cover is blown I wanted them to think I was a 32 year old mother of Three.:Clown::Headset:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  4. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    You may have had crappy lighting but that's some good shooting!

You even made Gary look decent. Well, I won't go that far. You are a good photographer Frank but that would take divine intervention. :biggrin::tongue:

5. Nice to see you posting Frank. Nothing at all wrong with these shots, very impressive shots at that ISO. I'm always amazed at what that D2hs can do at hight ISOs.

6. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Hey Frank,
    I guess any day you can shoot a kingfisher is a good day.
    But, no kingfisher flight shots??:tongue:

7. Nice shots Frank. But that strange "bird"..... What's stranger still, is that strange looking camera & especially lens the strange "bird" is using. ;-)

Lil

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super shots and nice to see Gary

9. LOL!!
    I enjoyed the series Frank. Still very nice work under those lighting conditions

10. Not bad at all Frank, especially in such tough conditions.

And I always thought that Gary was a smart kid with a cool sunglasses. :eek: :biggrin:

11. All along I thought Gary was a young whipper-snapper from the way he talked and I wondered how a young guy could always be out shooting...

Now I see he is an old-whipper-snapper :cool: and everything has fallen into place!

Great shots Flew under trying conditions.

12. Way to go Frank. It is always good to get out and if we only shot on those sunny days here we would be pretty limited in getting out. Well done.

13. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    I can't find a picture of that strange bird anywhere. Great shots Frank.

14. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Nice captures, Frand, despite the bad lighting. (And I thought Gary is a kid with Nikon gears!)

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. Maybe we will get lucky and get some sun this weekend. :rolleyes:

For those that have been to the dam on your visits to the area, TVA has gone in and cleared the road that goes behind the little swampy area. Rex and I walked this path during the Cafe get together in Huntsville earlier this year, but it was grown up and full of saw briers. There is now a nice wide path and also an opening to a once pretty isolated swampy area that seems to have a bunch of bird activity.

Gary and shot there for about a half hour Sunday, but the light was very bad (as you can see from these shots). I'm looking forward to getting back over in good light.

16. Well if you gotta go you gotta post as well!!! Nice going Frank!!!

17. Nice series Frank. Isn't that a purdy white lens that "bird" has ? :)

18. Fine series Frank but I was wondering if you had a lot of processing to do on that last one?:biggrin::biggrin: Not bad for 39, just like Jack Benny. I bet he gets carded when he asked for a seinor citizen discount at the stores:wink:
    Just horseing about Gary that is a nice photo.
    Lou

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Andreas,

Crappy shots for sure, but like you say, sometimes you just have to shoot (and post). :rolleyes:

Yeah, Gary is one of 'those' guys. :biggrin:

Lou,

Well, I have to admit, Gary is a horsey kind of guy. As for carding, well, I pay them to card me. :biggrin:

Thanks. :wink:

20. WOW, Frank no matter what lighting you shoot in, you always manage to pull it off beautifully! As for that "strange bird" well, nice to put a face behind that funny name "hangin tree!":biggrin: