Some Owls from Washington

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chip, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    One bif, a couple bnif's (I made that up) and other avian stuff.

Allright, I will quit whinning about the lack of sunlight, calm weather, and rain because I know you hear it from everyone else from WA.:biggrin: Did I mention the lack of lumens?...

Anyway, got a chance to get out in the....beautiful Wa. weather today...I think it was day...and shoot some birds. Got real intimate with a Snowy owl that's been poking around town. Learned a new bird (Pelagic Cormorant) and shot some double crested ones too. Saw a rough-legged catch a vole, and a red-tailed chomp one. Saw a couple eagles fly by and one perched on a pole. Saw a few varietal ducks, and most importantly, the professional birders....who can tell you how many brown-headed-cowbirds they saw last year...God bless em!

So I can't complain. I could be in Brooklyn I guess.

A few with the 500 and tc 1.4 on a D2X.
    1/160s f/5.6 at 700.0mm iso640
    This guys was hunkered down pretty good
    original.

He eventually took off and doubled back. The only keeper out of a 5 frame burst. I am not very good with the 500 yet. Especially when my left hand rolls the focus ring by accident while AF is in use....Dohhh
    1/125s f/5.6 at 700.0mm iso640 highly cropped and sharpened.
    original.

He eventually set up for a pose for us.
    1/250s f/5.6 at 700.0mm iso400
    original.

look at the size of those nails....or are they dwarf seagulls and pelagics..
    1/125s f/8.0 at 700.0mm iso500
    original.

Who's got seniority here?
    1/125s f/5.6 at 700.0mm iso500
    original.

last one..I promise.
    surf scoter
    1/90s f/5.6 at 700.0mm iso640
    original.

All in all a good day. Comments welcome.

2. The owls are killer! The yellow eyes in the flight shot are really neat - how much cropping??

3. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Great shots chip. I like the first one with the owl peeping over the stump.

4. Chip, that third Snowy Owl shot is OUTSTANDING! I also really like the Surf Scoter shot. I went out today in my kayak trying to find the Snowy Owl that has been hanging around our area for the past few weeks. Man if I could have come up with a shot that good, I would be esctatic!

How did you get so close to the Surf Scoter? I have been trying for years to get a shot like yours, but have never been able to get anywhere near close enough. They are a very skiddish species.

Great stuff :smile:

Tim

5. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Thanks Brett.
    Here is the original.
    original.

6. Why the HECK didn't you call me??????? Heck, I'd go out in the RAIN for these!!!!!

Great stuff, where was the Snowy? Jim and I went looking on Friday and nada.

Man, I need to get up and see you...........:mad: :wink:

7. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Thank you Chris.
    Tim, Thanks. I haven't been that close either. We saw them swimming a ways away and then all 3 of them went under the water. I picked up my tripod and ran to the waters edge and hoping they'd pop up somewhere close, they did only I was dialed in for different light and blew out the exposure. Blinkies all over the place man:redface:

8. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA

Rain?...no rain...drizzle...and stiff wind blowing gently across the face and neck...with a dim lightbulb in the sky....behind a thick pillowy layer of puffy clouds.

I let the snowy out of his cage for awhile Bill. He enjooyed a few hours of rusting and napping.:rolleyes:

I didnt know until I read tweeters last night Bill. Check it out.

9. Fantastic shots Chip. I love the Owl shots, I think the one flying is outstanding.
    Pete

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice series Chip. I really like the third one, but all are good. :smile:

11. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    They are all superb but the owls are simply outstanding!

12. WOw Very nice I have never captured an owl ...somday though.. and I hope they are half this good

13. Chip, I guess I blew it by not calling you yesterday. It was so dark and wet at home I just bagged it. Now I am sorry I did. It looks like you had a good outing. Bill and I have yet to find the snowy when we went looking. Let me know the next weekend you have available and I will try and work it into my schedule. Nicely done.

14. Very nice Chip. The second and third shots do it for me. I won't ask how the weather was yesterday, it was pretty awful here in town.

louie

15. Excellent shots Chip. Good timing on the weather. OK, enough rain and clouds, I am ready for the good weather.

16. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Thanks guys,
    This bird shooting is truly addicting, and very educational as well.

17. Image #2 and #3 are outstanding. Way to go Chip.

18. That 3rd owl photo -- speechless -- just a huge WOW to you!!
    And I am always a fan of birds + manmade objects so admire #4 & #5.

19. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I Don't Like

Any of you other photographer types who have even remotely decent access to snowy owls. One of these days. I'm going to have to raise a pet one from scratch and train the sucker to sit pretty, fly and all of that good stuff for me...then I'll get some shots.

All of the shots are superb....some are simply overshadowed by the really wickedly awesome snowy owl shots :)

It's sunny here in MA at times...wanna trade houses for a week or so?

20. Hi Chip,

Great stuff you have there. I wish we had birds like that around these parts. :smile: Your posts gives me Total Cool Bird Envy.