Some photos showing what an Idaho winter can be like

This is my daughter’s photo. A couple of weeks ago they made a 10 foot tall snowman. This is what our wind is doing to it. LOL
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here in central NY we had a 12” Nov. snowstorm and about 5” last weekend and that’s about it ,,, my wife bought me some wild looking snowshoes for Christmas and with no snow and a cold that’s just hung on I haven’t even used them yet 🙁
Don‘t might snow but with a 300’ driveway on top of a hill , out in the country it’s the wind I hate ... drifting snow is the worst ,,, having to battle to keep your driveway open every hour is no fun ..

Here in central NY we had a 12” Nov. snowstorm and about 5” last weekend and that’s about it ,,, my wife bought me some wild looking snowshoes for Christmas and with no snow and a cold that’s just hung on I haven’t even used them yet 🙁
Don‘t might snow but with a 300’ driveway on top of a hill , out in the country it’s the wind I hate ... drifting snow is the worst ,,, having to battle to keep your driveway open every hour is no fun ..
Yikes, a 300' driveway.....that would be a lot of work to keep clean!! I'm sure you guys probably get heavy, wet snow, too!!

Sitting here relieved that so far this winter in the Northern Virginia area of the Washington, DC region, we have not had anything really serious in the way of snow -- and frankly, I hope it stays the way all through the rest of this month and through February as well! Snow is pretty when it's falling and the landscape looks so different, almost magical, especially when one steps out and everything is hushed.... Unfortunately that usually doesn't last too long, once people get out to start clearing off cars and driveways and parking lots..... Here, we definitely usually have to deal with weather conditions rapidly changing so that suddenly it warms up enough that some of the formerly pretty white stuff starts melting, gets slushy and dirty and then overnight it all freezes. Ack!

What I hate here is that when we do have a significant snowstorm or even one which really isn't all that big a deal but somehow is regarded as being so, that everything shuts down and no one goes anywhere and it takes a while for even major roads to be cleared and everyone to get moving again. Coupled with the fact that many people in this area for one reason or another don't know how to drive in snowy/icy/melting conditions in the first place, DC/MD/VA are just not real happy places to be driving around in after a snow event!

So far this winter it has been pretty mild in terms of temperatures, very little snow, and I for one am hoping that it remains that way!

Sitting here relieved that so far this winter in the Northern Virginia area of the Washington, DC region, we have not had anything really serious in the way of snow -- and frankly, I hope it stays the way all through the rest of this month and through February as well! Snow is pretty when it's falling and the landscape looks so different, almost magical, especially when one steps out and everything is hushed.... Unfortunately that usually doesn't last too long, once people get out to start clearing off cars and driveways and parking lots..... Here, we definitely usually have to deal with weather conditions rapidly changing so that suddenly it warms up enough that some of the formerly pretty white stuff starts melting, gets slushy and dirty and then overnight it all freezes. Ack!

What I hate here is that when we do have a significant snowstorm or even one which really isn't all that big a deal but somehow is regarded as being so, that everything shuts down and no one goes anywhere and it takes a while for even major roads to be cleared and everyone to get moving again. Coupled with the fact that many people in this area for one reason or another don't know how to drive in snowy/icy/melting conditions in the first place, DC/MD/VA are just not real happy places to be driving around in after a snow event!

So far this winter it has been pretty mild in terms of temperatures, very little snow, and I for one am hoping that it remains that way!
I'm sure a snow event in a large city is awful. We have been warm (35+ degrees F during the afternoon) this week and the roads are pretty much dry now. It's heavenly!! The ground still has lots of snow, but as long as the roads/parking lots are good, I can deal with it just fine.

Terri, I spent my pre-college youth (18 years) in one the the counties (Otsego) in the Mohawk Valley. Winters there were far more severe than anything I have seen in over 20 years in N Idaho. Winters here aren’t fun for me, but they aren’t horrible like they were in upstate NY.

Terri, I spent my pre-college youth (18 years) in one the the counties (Otsego) in the Mohawk Valley. Winters there were far more severe than anything I have seen in over 20 years in N Idaho. Winters here aren’t fun for me, but they aren’t horrible like they were in upstate NY.
I’m sure there are much worse places to spend winter. Ours has turned fairly mild this week, so I’m happy!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom