Some pics from this weekend

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jim Strathearn, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Went out looking for snow geese but they just didn't want to be photographed today. So, I shot what was available, which wasn't much! We did get to photograph our first Bald Eagle so that was thrilling! However, the light was poor, he was too far away, etc. But, I know where they live... :wink:

All the following shot w/the D70 and 80-400 VR. Most at or near 400mm.

This looks to be a gull of some sort. This is a fresh water lake so any help w/ID would be appreciated.
    44275592-L.

Turkey Vulture in flight. I use them for practice my flight shots. This stuff isn't easy at all! This is heavily cropped.
    44275593-L.

Obligatory Canada Geese shots... (I liked the colors in these...)
    44274241-L.

44274243-L.

44276935-L.

Snow geese shunning me. :frown:
    44276048-L.

The eagle shot is in this thread:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=56766

All C&C welcomed!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

Unfortunately, not all of us live near locations where the birds are so thick that all you have to do is point the cam at the sky and snap away, and you are guaranteed to get a great raptor shot. :biggrin:

These are all pretty good. The gull looks like a Ring-billed (Larus delawarensis). Nothing wrong with shooting them, or the turkey vultures. I'll shoot anything with feathers. :rolleyes:

Your shots are all sharp and the exposures are pretty much spot on. I'd say a pretty good day of shooting. :smile:

3. A lot of people refer to the gulls as sea rats. However, whenever you see a great gull shot, like yours, I tend to really appreciate it for the quality of the shot it displays. All these are great!

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Ah Jim I feel your pain
    Had two turkey vulture shots would of been great (they were close) but I blew the exposure (to dark)

Watched as 4 waves of Snow Geese flew over blew them as well !!

I still had a great time and was smiling all the way home :biggrin:

Bet you were too, and you got some great shots to bring home as well, well done.

5. Thanks Frank. I was using a custom tone curve for quite a while but finally realized that the default "Normal" curve does a far better job in mixed lighting. I tend to use it exclusively when shooting geese, etc. Makes the exposure more accurate in my opinion...

Thanks for the ID.

6. Thanks Kevin. "Sea Rat" - I like that!

7. Thanks Ben. We were happy on the way home mostly because we saw more eagles! Got off some poor shots BUT at least I know where they are now.

We have a small flock of Snow Geese at a local lake. Some of them cannot fly so I guess they are here for the duration. I had never seen them up close before. They weren't in the mood to be photographed yesterday but I did mange to get off a few:

44287968-L.

44276048-L.