Some pleasant (D2X) surprises today

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Rich Gibson, May 7, 2005.

1. I loaded up my stuff, heading out to the zoo and standing across the street are my two neighbors staring into a 5 gallon bucket. I was stunned what I saw. We live in suburban Norther Virginia. Is this what they think it is? A water mocassin? I went to rotate the bucket from the outside with my shoe and it struck the inside of the bucket where my shoe touched.....YEOW!!!!

Later we went to the zoo and the pandas were out. This is the male. I took it with the D2X and the 300mm f/4 with a TC2E doubler; what does that make it 900mm?

View attachment 8362

I had to use D to bring out the shadows, it was pretty far away and the rig was hand held. I took almost thirty shots to get 5-6 good ones.

This is one sweet camera.!

Rich

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Garter Snake! Harmless.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rich,

Your Panda is awesome. You can see the coloring of it's teeth for Pete's sake. :lol:

We saw a copperhead sticking its head out of the water right in front of us today. Don't care much for snakes. :?

4. I defer to your experience but the neighbor said it had a viper (triangular) head...and it did strike at the shadow of my shoe.

Rich

5. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Lol, I handled snakes for many years and even taught the days on snakes in Junior College in courses that I had yet to take. The Garter is active at first and can even emit a foul smell. After some handling they settle down and are a favored pet. Many snakes have a triangle shaped head to some degree but the real vipers are very distinctive. Note the round eyes. Not so in the bad boys. This does not include the Coral Snake. Totally different subject.

A little head shape, coloration (Coral vice Scarlet King), tail vibration in dry leaves (sounds like a rattler), aggressive behavior, .... all to give impression of a bad boy.

Still, best advice is if you don't know your snakes, don't handle them.

Oh, no American bad boy has stripes.

6. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Thanks Larry. I wish more folks new about the benefits of snakes especially the non poisonous ones. Here in Alabama I tend to hear folks with the attitude that if it's in the water it's a moccasin and if it's a moccasin it's a cottonmouth and poisonous.

Few believe that there are only 4 types of poisonous snakes in the states (rattlesnakes, coral, copperhead nad cottonmouth. and that the feared cottonmouth is really one of the least aggressive unlike the copperheads we have here.

Please correct me if I ma wrong as those of use that do nature photos and trape through the bushes etc really do have a need to know.

I take your advice one step further. Even if I know the snake I still don't handle them.

perhaps some of our members have some pictures in their archive they would share?

7. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Time and time again I have watched people yell moccasin for a water snake. Have yet to see one really be a moccasin.

Anyone out for frequent nature shots should have a working knowledge of all plants and critters in their favorite haunts that could be dangerous. And know first aid to include an emergency plan (yea for cell phones).

Even I don't handle any snake unless I have a good reason to capture (don't anymore). The good news is that most out for nature shots have been very close to snakes but didn't know it. Didn't see it or the bugger wiggled off.

Now, can you name the bad boy that is considered technically to be the fifth American "poisonous" snake? Its bite will cause you grievous harm if not death.

8. Larry...what is #5?

9. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Okay, but I'm re-posting my original question as it is crafted to provide accurate wording although it is a trick question of sorts-

"Now, can you name the bad boy that is considered technically to be the fifth American "poisonous" snake? Its bite will cause you grievous harm if not death."

The answer is the Yellow-bellied sea snake. Found world wide some are also on the continental shelf which of course is an extension of land into the ocean and well within the recognized limit of US "borders".

I believe that there is another sea snake found on Continental shelf that is not poisonous but it might as well be. Infection will develop from the bite and do ya in. I don't recall the name of this one.

10. grafphoto

grafphoto Guest

Yep, a garter snake. They will strike at you though if provoked or stressed. A friend of mine had one latch onto his finger once. I have quite a few of them around my yard. Pretty much the only thing to worry about is bacteria at a bite site.

11. Hi Larry and Rich,

My son and I have a Ball Python snake that we have had for about 11 years and he is a very gentle creature. We hold him, put him around our necks and not once has he bit us. When we first bought him, he was sick so we had to give him an anitbiotic and force feed him mice (we only feed thawed frozen mice. Real mice can bite the snake and then there goes another vet bill). Not once did he bite. Of course it took two of use to feed him and give him his medicine.

He is mostly a hibernator and comes out of his house to let us know when he is hungry.

So Rich,

Snakes really do make good pets.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Here in east Texas we have lots of water moccasins, in fact I think I've seen more of them than probably any other type of snake around here. I think the stories of them chasing after people are bogus, but they do seem to be agressive enough that you sure don't want to approach one.

I used to skate on an outdoor bike trail at one of the local parks, and you would occasionally see them on the trial particularly after rain. More than once I had to jump over one that was stretched out on the trial because I didn't have time to stop.

13. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    My favorite of all was a 6 foot grey ratsnake. Live chicks and mice were on the menu. Very true about mice biting. The trick was to make sure that the mouse was taken right away. Also, if the first mouse is left in the cage 2-3 days and a second mouse is introduced, the second mouse will be taken even if the first mouse is sitting on the snake's head. Take it out of the cage and put it back in a few days later and it will be renewed as a snack. The rest of the snakes got frogs and toads depending on the specie's diet. I had a beautiful Rainbow Snake rarely seen but took it back to a Florida swamp because I couldn't get it to take live food. The hardest snake I ever chased and finally caught was a 6 foot Coachwhip. The difference in coloration from head to tail made it difficult to track with the eyes and that sucker is fast.

14. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    This is one time that I think I'd have extra large skates. Large enough to fit a pair of combat boots to make those jumps. More than likely the critters didn't even react to your jumps. However, it does strike (no pun) a potential thought if one of those bad boys had struck straight up in the middle of your jump and hung on. Reminds me of an old country song about something great and on fire.