Some Portraits of my daughter

I took these portraits in my yard today. Pretty much straight from the camera.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First off Rex, you have a beautiful daughter that you should be proud of. My favorite image is #3 but it has a little red cast to it that could easily be fixed in post processing. I also like the last one.

I like the way the lines from the hammock are used compositionally in the first shot, and the DOF works well here. The second shot is less effective IMHO because the rope blocks part of her face.

The third one would work well has a horizontal 8x10, very nice.

These all have color casts to my eye. I agree with Gordon that the third shot has a slight red cast but I find the skin tones there more pleasing than the other three. You mention these were straight from camera, with a bit of tweaking in levels/curves or the color balance tool it should be possible to get a more neutral color balance.

My favorite is number 3 as well. The first and second bring my eye to the out of focus hammock and then to your daughter. The last one is good too but it seems a bit green to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. I agree with you about the colors. Is there any thing obvious that I can do with my camera settings to improve my colors. I'm using the D70 with sReala V2 curve loaded.

I'm hoping to learn more about Photoshop and Nikon Capture. But I've been trying to get the Camera under control first. Then I will dive in to the post processing.

Thanks again

Shoot a grey card!

Beautiful kid, and good shots. Love #1. Have her hold a grey card for the 1st frame, then use it for your WB'ing your shots, by selecting it as your grey point in pp (post processing).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Steve
Can that only be done in raw or can you do it with jpeg also. I have only been shooting in jpeg.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom