Some Portraits of my daughter

Discussion in 'People' started by rbsmith, Jun 19, 2005.

1. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I took these portraits in my yard today. Pretty much straight from the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. First off Rex, you have a beautiful daughter that you should be proud of. My favorite image is #3 but it has a little red cast to it that could easily be fixed in post processing. I also like the last one.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I like the way the lines from the hammock are used compositionally in the first shot, and the DOF works well here. The second shot is less effective IMHO because the rope blocks part of her face.

The third one would work well has a horizontal 8x10, very nice.

These all have color casts to my eye. I agree with Gordon that the third shot has a slight red cast but I find the skin tones there more pleasing than the other three. You mention these were straight from camera, with a bit of tweaking in levels/curves or the color balance tool it should be possible to get a more neutral color balance.

4. My favorite is number 3 as well. The first and second bring my eye to the out of focus hammock and then to your daughter. The last one is good too but it seems a bit green to me.

5. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I also really #3 is a really nice shot and the color looks a little off on the last one.

6. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks guys. I agree with you about the colors. Is there any thing obvious that I can do with my camera settings to improve my colors. I'm using the D70 with sReala V2 curve loaded.

I'm hoping to learn more about Photoshop and Nikon Capture. But I've been trying to get the Camera under control first. Then I will dive in to the post processing.

Thanks again

7. These are great and I agree with the above assesments. She is a beautiful young lady.

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    She looks like a little Sandra Bullock (sp)

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Shoot a grey card!

Beautiful kid, and good shots. Love #1. Have her hold a grey card for the 1st frame, then use it for your WB'ing your shots, by selecting it as your grey point in pp (post processing).

10. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Steve
    Can that only be done in raw or can you do it with jpeg also. I have only been shooting in jpeg.