Some PP choices that I'd like feedback on

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by PAReams, Jun 8, 2007.

1. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I've been playing a little bit in Lightroom and I'd like to get some feedback on these wedding pictures that I took. I guess that I'd just like to know which image you like best, the original or the desaturated image.

Thanks,

#1: Here's the original black and white image that I posted:
    DSC_8626.

and here's one where I desaturated some of the color:
    Natalie%27s%20Wedding-8626.

#2: Here's another image that was originally just in color and the new one was desaturated. I know that the composition in this image is a little screwed up-that dang rose on his lapel stuck out a little too much, and since I was taking pictures from the seats I couldn't move around.
    DSC_8559.

Natalie%27s%20Wedding-8559.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  2. Hi, Paul

Are you working on a calibrated monitor?
    I find all of these pictures a little dark.
    I think adjusting levels and shadows and highlights might help.

In the two sets, I prefer your second images.

If you'd care to post originals, I'm sure you'd get more help.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. they seem a bit dark on my calibrated monitor as well.

I don't normally suggest it, but this might be a case in which the selective color technique might work especially on the last 2 shots. Just a thought.

4. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks guys.
    I don't have a calibrated monitor, but a response that I've been getting frequently is that my shots are too dark. I guess that's something that I ened to investigate. Is there an inexpensive/free way to calibrate? I'm using an iMac.

5. Have you tried Adobe Gamma or Apple's ColorSync? Both free software and manual solutions. Some say they are useless. I think "per eye" calibration is not the best, but better than nothing. You can always step up.

6. I would use the Mac profiler in system preferences>displays and it is easy to follow.

7. KrysiaG

KrysiaG Guest

Great captures, they are all a little dark to me, too. I bought the Pantone Huey monitor calibrator. It wasn't terribly expensive and the results are amazing!