Some prayers needed... Update

I have a friend that's been suffering for the last 3 years with ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease. He's had nothing but setback after setback. Last Thanksgiving when he tried to stand he fell and broke his leg. His decline has been so rapid since then and he's been in and out of the hospital ever since. Last week, in an effort to help the inevitable, his doctors performed a tracheotomy so that he could be put on a ventilator to help him breathe easier. Well, he decided today that he could no longer fight the fight and he opted to be removed from the ventilator. I just got word from his wife that his wishes were honored... Please say a prayer for him that his rest comes quickly and peacefully.

Thank you.

Godspeed Gary. You are loved and will be missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Walter. Thanks Glenn. The doctors took Gary off he vent at 12:30. He's got a strong heart and he's still hanging on. They have him on a morphine drip and they're starting to increase the dosage. It's just a matter of a few hours I'm sure.

Thank you very much everyone. So it's been almost 10 hours since they took Gary off the ventilator. I guess his body's will to live on is stronger than we thought. He still hasn't passed. The doctors have been administering morphine to keep him comfortable and in a sleep like state. This is absolute torture for his wife and us his friends. It's just so hard to comprehend a 50 year old man with his mind and all his wits giving up, and willingly giving up his fight for life. After doing some of my own research online, I've come to learn that people with ALS opting to come off the ventilator can live for over 30 days.

I just wish that my friend can rest finally, and have some dignity. He's been helpless and unable to move his arms or legs for over a year. Totally relying on his wife and others to do EVERYTHING for him. I dont know how she's doing it. NO ONE should have to suffer this fate.

Thank you everyone for keeping my friend and his family in your thoughts and prayers. My friend Gary passed late this afternoon. Now onto he next phase for his wife. Such a sad day.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom