Some Quick Advice on the Z5?

Real Name
Steve
Hi there. It's been a while since I last posted.

I'm sure we're all aware that the Nikon Z5 is currently on sale for just under a thousand dollars U.S. I am considering the camera as a way to sample the Z system with relatively low investment. I'm sure plenty of people will tell me the Z6 II is a better way to go (and I'd agree) but I don't want to spend that much money right now.

My tentative plan to is equip the Z5 with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 S lens and operate with that minimal set up for a while. If I like it, I can see expanding into the system as I sell off other gear. If not, no harm done and I can sell the camera and lens - or keep it as an interesting diversion.

I have a couple of other systems - Sony and Fuji - for specific applications. If the Nikon gear eventually replaces either of them, it would be Sony. I plan to use the Z5 for general photography - portraits, nature (maybe a bit of easy wildlife), etc.

I have a few questions for those with extensive Z5 experience:

1) How is weather sealing?

2) Any surprises with autofocus?

3) Do you regret buying the Z5 and wish you went with the Z6 or Z6 II?

Any other information and/or suggestions are welcome.

I don’t own the Z5 but if I were buying into the system today, this is the camera I’d be getting. I don’t shoot video, which is apparently one of the advantages of the Z6. I also don’t need higher frame rates. So for straight photography, this looks like a fantastic deal. And don’t overlook the kit lens bundles to make it an even better deal.

I have a few questions for those with extensive Z5 experience:
I don't have extensive experience but have been all in with a Z5 for a few months.

1) How is weather sealing?
I live in Los Angeles so it wasn't a consideration.
I just tried to find out if there is a difference. Is there?

2) Any surprises with autofocus?
My AF needs are pretty modest. I don't track. So no surprises except how well eye-AF works.

3) Do you regret buying the Z5 and wish you went with the Z6 or Z6 II?
Not at all. I wanted dual cards. SDs a bonus. I haven't found image output, AF burst or lowlight AF to be at all lacking or a second thought for me. I think Nikon did well with choosing the cuts. And the fact that last years(or sub) tech is still darn good.

Any other information and/or suggestions are welcome.
I really like the feel and button locations. I like the menu system. The 50mm 1.8 is really nice. The 24-70F4 as well. The FTZ works well with the G and P lenses if you're in need of something that isn't there yet or you want a more affordable option. Really excited about an incoming 85mmS and the 28/40 on the horizon.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom