Some Random Mumbai India Pics

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by jdhdiggs, Jul 24, 2008.

1. jdhdiggs

jdhdiggs

Mar 25, 2008
    Centenniel
    Some pics from India, some are good, some are bad, some just for informative reasons:

One of the Buddhist cave entrances in Mumbai
    NP%20004.png
    Interior of a cave at 1/10 hand held:
    View attachment 226329
    Nifty fifty does a baby monkey
    View attachment 226330
    Missed the focus and DOF but I love the poses and expressions:
    View attachment 226331

Ok, how about a couple PW3ND shots:
    View attachment 226332
    View attachment 226333
    View attachment 226334

Some candids:
    View attachment 226335
    View attachment 226336
    View attachment 226337
    View attachment 226338
    View attachment 226339

Some bad pics, but nothing comes in clear in a floating car, I included them for the surrealness of the situation. I don't get the umbrella's at this point either:
    View attachment 226340
    View attachment 226341

The whole series can be seen on my Picassa page if you are interested.

2. some very interesting images here
    very well done
    thanks for sharing these with us

can i ask YOUR FIRST NAME, if i might?

it would be nice if you'd add it to your signature line
    we like to keep things personal around here
    it enhances the family atmosphere

thanks

3. jdhdiggs

jdhdiggs

Mar 25, 2008
    Centenniel
    Ok, I've added my name, James, to the sig line. Thanks for the comments.

4. Interesting James - I don't see the points of the umbrella either but really funny :biggrin:

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Very nice! I looked at your Picasa site - very nice indeed! Great captions!

Were you in India on vacation, business or ??

I will be going there later this year on a photo tour. Did you take a laptop? If so, was it a hassle getting through customs or any other complications?

Thanks!

6. jdhdiggs

jdhdiggs

Mar 25, 2008
    Centenniel
    I've been going back and forth all year for business. All told I've been there about 10 weeks so far this year. Laptops are no issue, in fact, if you aren't of Indian or Pakistani descent or dress very American/European you will most likely skip all of customs going into the country.

Just beware of the porter vultures. If you aren't VERY firm with them, they will help you whether you want them to or not and will hold your bags hostage until you pay/bribe them.

Get some small bills ASAP when you get there, and if you are headed to Mumbai, I can give you some tips of what to do and see and what to avoid.

7. chandler

chandler

Oct 21, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Ideally you won't need a porter at the airport. If you use one, negotiate in advance and don't pay them more than 5 bucks. Also take pre-paid taxi from within the airport. ask them in advance whether they expect anything extra for loading-unloading of luggages from the trunk.

8. chandler

chandler

Oct 21, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I liked the candids...specially the woman with the child

9. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    James, Raj has given excellent advice but make sure you do not give $5 as a tip to the porter .... that is way too much. Indian Rs.20 (that is .50 cents US) should be good enough. The advice on the pre-paid taxi where payment is made up front at the taxi booth is highly recommended or else if you pay by meter, they will take you for the ride of your life, literally.

10. jdhdiggs

jdhdiggs

Mar 25, 2008
    Centenniel
    Yup $5 is far too much. If you can, hit an ATM at the ariport and buy the cheapest thing you can to get some 10's and 20's. The biggest issue I've had in India is the ATM's tend to give out 500's and 1000's, but you need 10's, 20's, and 50's. Taxi drivers and rickshaw drivers will not give you change so if your fair is 39Rs and you give the guy a 500, more than likely he will just drive off without giving you change. Protect your "chum" money as much as possible and try not to use the smaller bills and coins in resteraunts and hotels.