Some recent butterflies

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JeffKohn, Dec 6, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Made a trip the the local butterfly center this past weekend. Here are a few I came home with. As always comments/feedback/suggestions welcome.

Click on an image for PBase page with full shooting info.

original.

original.

original.

2. Wow....super shots all...:smile: like #3 the best but #1 a close second..!!

3. Wonderful images. The last one is my favorite.

4. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    These are very nice. I really need to get a macro lens for my D50. I was just getting into macros with my F828 when I got my Nikon. I still have my Sony so I will just have to use it until I get a macro lens. What is a good fairly inexpensive lens I should be looking at?

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Mike and Gordon for the feedback, appreciate it.

Stef - It really just depends on what type of macro work you want to do. You can go with a dedicated macro lens, (longer focal lengths give you greater working distance for skittish subjects, but also get more expensive). Or you can use an extension tube or closeup filter (aka diopter) with an existing lens. Extension tubes work best with shorter focal lengths (not much working distance though), diopters work best with telephoto lenses. Also some general purpose zoom lenses also have a "macro" mode that won't get you to true 1:1 reprodcution but sometimes pretty close.

6. Very impressive Jeff. I like the lighting and controled DOF. I would have preferred if the 2nd one was all in focus, but it works well the way yuo did it. I like the flow of the lines.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Rory,

I agree it would have been nice to have a bit more DOF there so the wings were in focus all the way back. I shot mostly at fairly wide apertures because I wanted to pick up some ambient light to avoid all the shots having completely black backgrounds. Maybe a camera angle more perpendicular to the wings would have helped.

Thanks for looking,

8. Wow! These are stunning! And I like how you can click on an image and it takes you back to PBase - how do you do that??:smile:

9. I like number 3 best. Excellent composition on your shots.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Diane. As for making the image a clickable link, it's actually pretty easy. Just use [ img ] tags inside of [ url ] tags. Here's an example, with some strategically place spaces to keep the vb software from actually parsing it:

[ url=http: //www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/53225915/original][ img ]http: //www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/53225915/original.jpg[ /img ][ /url ]

(sorry about the word wrap but that's all one line)

11. Great shots, Jeff. Very good composition and #3 is impressive.

12. These are very nice shots. Your compositions are strong. I agree that more depth of field could offer some improvement, but they are nice as they are. There are lotsa right answers. Nikon has great off camera flash capability. Multiple flashes withyour D2X could provide plenty of light for greater depth of field as well as different lighting possibilities. All you need is two or more of the SB-800 flashes or perhaps Sb-600's. But again, I think your shots are plenty nice just as they are.

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Vinh and Dao I appreciate the feedback. I'm a little surprised to see that #3 seems to be the favorite.

Thanks again,

14. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for your comments Muril. I was using one SB-800 mounted on a RRS flash bracket (works well for macro because you can rotate the flash to make the light more direction, as well as angle it downwards for closeup shooting). Hadn't really though of using a second flash for the background but I could see how that would work. Might need an assistant to hold it for me though.

Regards,

15. Jeff, these are outstanding photos. I love all of them.

16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for looking Phil.

17. Outstanding butterfly shots! Butterfly captures are more difficult than most folks think. They're quick little things..... you've done very well with these.

18. Hi Jeff -- Love the butterflies. Number 3 is also my favorite -- good drama/contrast and comp in that shot. And the dark bkgrnd works well with the orange butterfly.
    Nice to see some work with that Sigma 150mm. I have that lens but didn't get to use it much before winter set in.
    Did you hand-hold that 150mm or use tripod? I'm finding it's just a leeeetle too big for hand-holding myself.
    Cheers -- Annie
    (Andrea B./"Anne Di")

19. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks very much Sandi. The butterflies at this location seem to be a bit more tame than those in the wild, but it can still be a challenge.

20. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Hi Annie. Thanks for the feedback. I agree the Sigma 150 is a nice lens, I really like the sharpness and bokeh. The AF does hunt a bit more than I would like though. I was shooting with a monopod; the camera + lens by itself wouldn't be too bad for handholding (although as you get closer to 1:1 holding steady gets more challenging), but with the RRS flash bracket and SB-800 added it gets quite a bit heavier. Tripods are prohibited at this location due to the limited amount of space on the walkways; but even if they weren't I think I would prefer a monopod for the greater mobility and maneuverability.

Regards,