Some recent D3 stock/imagery.

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by diego garcia, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Well, as you may have read, my D3 was back with Nikon for a period of about 5 weeks due to water ingression. However, the camera is back and firing on all cylinders and I still absolutely love this camera and what it can achieve. It has changed the way I shoot, made me a better photographer and there is never a job that the D3 cannot cope with. All images on a selection of glass from 50mm, 85mm, 24-70, 17-55, 70-200, 300 F/2.8 through to 400mm F/2.8.

For me, as a long time Canon user before I moved to Nikon, I find the white balance on the money everytime and the autofocus is something else. I also like the auto ISO, especially if I am working at the football where sun and shade can play havoc with metering and the subsequent shutter speed.

Overall, delighted with the camera. I have just been putting together my stock of the year in prep for my 2008 photo book, which I get printed every six months as a record of the year. Highlights this year so far have the been my use of CLS with the first two images shown looking stunning in print for an ad campaign. The other thing that gave me a buzz was meeting Beijing Olympic archer Larry Godfrey and shooting him before he flew to China. He mailed me from China this week to again say thanks for the shots and his partner even dropped by to say how motivated and 'pro' the shots made him look. In fact he has taken a CD to China so he can fire himself up in his quest for gold. Well, if he gets it then great, objective achieved.

Overall, my favourite shots of the year have been the cycle stuff of which the first three here were all shot on a D2h.

Justdoit1of1.jpg

test-1.jpg

BristolBikefest2008-AshtonCourt8-2.jpg

BristolBikefest2008-AshtonCourt8-1.jpg

BristolBikefest2008-AshtonCourt8thJ.jpg

UN_PT_0114.jpg

UN_PT_21.jpg

UN_PT_73.jpg

UN_PT_BathHalfMarathon0831.jpg

BristolCityvsWolverhamptonWanderers.jpg

UN_PT_87_PTI3391.jpg

UN_PT_54_PTI3340.jpg

UN_PT_235.jpg

UN_PT_152.jpg

UN_PT_1002.jpg

AdCampaign21stMay08800x6007.jpg

UN_PT_070.jpg

UN_PT_011.jpg

UN_PT_0141.jpg

UN_PT_043.jpg

BristolRugbyvsSaleSharks25.jpg

UN_PT_378.jpg

UN_PT_109.jpg

UN_PT_119.jpg

UN_PT_112.jpg

UN_PT_131.jpg

UN_PT_042.jpg

UN_PT_056.jpg

FeildingHighSchoolNZvsFiltonAcademy.jpg

BristolRugbyvsSaleSharks24.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Fantastic, what am impressive series, you have a great eye, wonderful stuff Very nice indeed

3. Thanks Mike. One wonders how you get access to sportshooter as I note you are accredited ?

Pete.

4. Outstanding

Diego,

Outstanding images, and you make the camera look good...(Although I think that if you had something other than a D3 in your hands, the images would be equally outstanding. Please keep posting here).

I missed the post about water ingression. Was it dropped it a pond? And after a lube, oil, filter and cleaning,:wink: it works like new....? Pretty robust I would think.

5. Thanks a lot. Have just added three D2h shots !

The water issue was caused after shooting in mild UK rain, with a rain jacket. Nikon alleged that water got in through the remote port and destroyed the main PC and auto focus system as they corroded. However, I disputed the speed of the corrosion and we had a right old ding dong with them wanting £512.00 sterling to repair it. Needless to say I refused but it was settled in the end and the camera is dandy once again.

The biggest issue was that I felt as if they assumed I had performed some inane water test when all I had done was work in rain.

6. I won't tell anybody that I can't tell which is which (I can't, I'm more impressed with the image than trying to decide which cam took it).

Good to hear that Nikon, even if it took some prodding, stood by the warranty.

7. Personally, I think that the FX sensor renders bokeh @ 2.8 or wider far better than a DX sensor which stands to reason. However, a DX chipset with good ISO is a valid addition to the kit bag - hence the D300 being a magic camera.

8. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Very nice series, I was intrigued with the two Rugby shots under lights and dead-set impressed by ISO5000 but then you look at the next with ISO1600 - you can clearly see the difference in IQ between the two (colour wise for example)

9. Great shots, Diego.

Personally, I like the portrait-style most (given that I'm not the greatest sport fan on earth), but all of your shots are really outstanding.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Waiting for more to come ...

Regards,

Mattes

10. this is an awesome series of images
    some real "WOW" pictures

i really appreciate you putting them together for us in this thread.... thank you

11. There are some people I like to drive my photography skill towards. You, along with Mike are among those. Amazing work.

12. Ditto Adrian.
    Very nice.

13. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Great stuff - love the boxing ones especially.

14. Pete, love them all. Every shot has a unique pop, and it shows the level of skill you have with a camera in any situation.

Great series. :smile:

15. DG,

Really good stuff and some really nice captures.
    Keep up the great work!

16. Inspiring. Thank you.

17. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    great shots, terrific!

18. Diego, those are fantastic, proof positive it's what's behind the tool that matters...

is that an American "football" youth league over in your parts?

19. Thanks all.

Yes, these are Youth. However, there are senior and Youth teams on the BAFL over here.

Would love to bring the Youth Team to the states as a trip as a lot of these kids are from disadvantaged homes and work closely with the club to supply visceral images gratis that make them look like super stars. However, for these kids, the cost would be impossible which is a shame.

20. edhu

edhu

Jul 21, 2008
    NY/NJ
    love the soccer shots most.