Some recent Panoramic images

I've been working on stitching some panoramic images from the last month or so, thought I'd share them in their own thread. I've embedded the reduced-size versions here, which allow you to see the entire image on screen. Clicking on any image will take you to a larger, more detailed version. As always, comments/critique/feedback welcome.

Bluebonnets and Yucca
large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Old Phillipsburg Church Road
large.jpg

Abandoned House, Washington County
large.jpg

Enchanted Rock
large.jpg

They are absolutely beautiful
Beautiful how the spring flowers make the images really pop out.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
all are very nice, I am particularly fond of the first due to the yucca being close up to add perspective

i always enjoy pans and these are lovely, the blues really make the photos i think....

kris

Jeff, these are terrific but that first one is outstanding! The colours, the late day light (or is it early day?).... I've never seen bluebonnets - this is a feast for the eyes. :smile:

David, Kris, and Harry - thanks for looking, I appreciate the feedback.

Sandi - Thanks, I appreciate it. First shot was taken a little while before sunset. Second and third shots were just after sunset.

A really wonderful series of panoramas. Composition, tones ,colors....perfect !

Regareds

RFC

From one Jeff to another excellent shots, the flowers really and a wonderful element to the pics. Nice job once again. - Jeff

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Jeff, super series and I viewed all large, all really nice, seems though thhat on the larger versions the last two have a bit more sharpness than the first two,

It could be due to the wind and plant movement with length of shutter too!

Wade

Jeff,

very nice images. What type of setup did you use - tripod, lens, software?

First three were taken with the 70-200vr, the last one was with the 28-70 AFS. I use a Feisol 3371 tripod with leveling base and the Really Right Stuff Ultimate Omni Pivot pano package. I shoot horizontal panos with the camera oriented vertically and approximately 25% overlap between shots. The camera is in manual exposure, and I use cable release and mirror lockup. If the scene contrast is high I'll bracket each shot so that I have the option combining exposures later (in which case I stitch first and blend last).

For stitching software I have PTGui and AutoPano Pro. PTGui used to be my favorite but the latest version of AutoPano Pro has added some nice features including the ability to easily stitch multiple sets of exposures from the same control points. At this point the only time I prefer PTGui is if I need to manually edit the control points. After stitching, my post-processing workflow is pretty much the same as for regular shots.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask.

Jeff, super series and I viewed all large, all really nice, seems though thhat on the larger versions the last two have a bit more sharpness than the first two,

It could be due to the wind and plant movement with length of shutter too!

Wade
Thanks for the feedback Wade. It could be longer shutter speeds and intermittent breeze, and I also think DOF was an issue. The first shot the focal length was long enough that I just didn't really have enough DOF for both the yucca and the group of trees. The second shot, I have to confess was a hurried afterthought. I didn't really think it would make a very good pano so instead of getting my pano gear out and carefully calculationg DOF and aperture, I just fired off a few shots with the camera in horizontal orientation and rotating the ballhead's base. Then when I got home and stitched it I found that I liked the result and regretted not putting enough effort into shooting it right.

Latest threads

Top Bottom