1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some recent portraits...

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Nchesher, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Here's a little of what I've been doing lately. Pretty much more of the same. The good news is I finally have some adult subjects to shoot soon so that will be a nice change. Business has been a little slow with things the way they are but it's been picking up lately. Anyways here's some shots. All shots D200 with either 28-70 2.8, 80-200 2.8 or 50 1.8. All exifs intact. :) 

NCP_5402.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NCP_5399.jpg

NCP_5558BW.jpg

NCP_5530.jpg

NCP_5099.jpg

NCP_5206.jpg

NCP_4925.jpg

And one of my son for good measure. :) 
    6328_1172934730755_1449653657_46457.jpg

2. These are great portraits. I am very interested in your workflow as the colors pop. Congrats

3. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    It depends on the image but here's the basic. I fix blemishes on a duped layer to begin. Usually dodge the eyes very slightly, then dupe the original layer again, gaussian blur around 20% and set layer to soft light around 40-60% opacity. I then do levels, selective color, and color balance tweaks as necessary all on adjustment layers. The first two images I did one extra step to bring the color out in the stairs. I simply duped the image and used sponge too to really bring everything out then reduce opacity to taste. I could have gone the LAB color route but I hate all that masking. I have most everything in an action so the edits take about 2-4 minutes each. Thanks for the comments.

4. Malania

Malania

Jun 6, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Beautiful shots!!

5. bobcool

bobcool

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    Great shots! Number four made me chuckle out loud. I love how his blue eyes really pop! Nice bokeh too, in that shot...

6. nice to see some really good portraits. i love the first one... fourth is hilarious.. they're all good.

7. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Very nice! #4 is too hot for me

8. SteveM10

SteveM10

Jun 5, 2009
    Parrish, FL
    Really nice shots. Great work.

9. #4 cracked me up! Fantastic capture!

10. Wonderful shots! I like them all.

11. i think they're great. child portraits are my favourite.

12. Michael

Michael

Jun 30, 2005
    Mid-Michigan
    Good stuff Nate...

13. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    These are just great shots. Very clean and sharp. Great little models too!!

14. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Nathan, All these should be winners in the parents eyes. You definitly have a great way of bringing out emotion in your photos. Great stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.