Some red heads....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    The primary focus of my shooting this past weekend (with Gary and Andy) had to be on the fledging of the three Kestrel babies. This is not something that, as they say, you see every day (or lifetime for that matter). However, we did get many, many shots of another really beautiful species, the Red-headed WP. Here are some from Sunday.

All taken with the D2Hs / 400 2.8 + 1.7 TC, at f/5.

One-foot perch:
    [​IMG]

Posing for the cam:
    [​IMG]

Soaking up the rays:
    [​IMG]

Mmmmmm, a juicy meal:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I can say is, what an excellent weekend. :smile:

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Whoa you weren't kidding when you were telling me that the Woodpecker was eating a large meal. Great catch! The one footed perch is too cute and should be printed large! By the way I am going wading this weekend if nothing comes up. Interested? I want to explore the backside of the swamp again, it's been a couple of years since I have been to the backside. Hope you like snakes crawling on your feet.:tongue:

3. Into a weggie green diet huh? Very cool pictures set, we don't have these 'Peckers here I think, It's always cool to see different species!!!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    After last weekend, of course I'm interested. I just need to know where to buy snake-proof waders. :rolleyes:

Thanks Andy. :smile:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice
    Never even seen one

6. Nice Frank, Andy is not kidding about the snakes they are in there "Big Time".

There are some really Bad ones also. When I was putting in a new shooting site I had a Racoon so close my 500 would not focus and a snake crawled by about 5 feet away.

7. DNAsiRNA

DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    Very nice shots. Temprature of pictures is a little cold. How do you think?

8. Niecy

Niecy Guest

Great series of shots!! Outstanding detail.

9. Hi Frank, Nice shots, are these birds common in your parts of the woods? Never seen on of these up north.

Anthony

10. An excellent set Frank. I don't think we have this WP up here or if we do I haven't seen one.

Louie

11. Frank, these images are fantastic. What a great weekend you must have had. Well done.

12. Very nice captures!

Frank, did you change any of your PP steps? The contrast and colors don't look like your usual stuff. It's not worse or better, just different.

13. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I thought the same thing but figured it was just an anomaly this one time. I know the images are good because I was there watching you take them. :wink: Could have been the heat, I felt broiled by the afternoon!

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Phil,

I have gone back to shooting at 5300K WB (I had been trying Auto, but got some strange results a few times). I have always had a problem getting enough contrast in my PP (Andreas dings me from time to time on this). I try to go as lightly as possible in PP on saturation, contrast, and sharpening, and I probably just didn't go far enough on these. It wouldn't be the first time (in reviewing my Kestrel shots, I think that they probably could use a bit more contrast as well). :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback. It is always appreciated. :smile:

15. What color mode do you use? I use mode 3, saturation enhanced (with NX.)

16. If I might say Frank the birds in real life have a rather sharp color tone More the Redhead than the Kestrel but both have sharp color and the lighting really bring it out.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Allan,

I use mode 3 (that's AdobeRGB, right?). I do not use the enhanced saturation setting though, at least not in direct sunlight. To me, reds and yellows look too bright with that setting. I leave the saturation as shot in NC (or NX if I'm using it), and then boost the saturation a bit in PS CS3 if necessary.

The problem with that if I'm not careful though, is that I get really, really blue skies unless I mask the sky out of course. Even that approach has problems as I find that I get most of the sky right, but get really, really blue areas around the edges of feathers. As a result, in general, I make small saturation adjustments on the entire image when needed.

I also do all of my processing in the AdobeRGB color space, 16bit, then convert to sRGB, 8-bit before saving for the web.

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding shots Frank.

19. Wow, this guy really IS a redhead, isn't he? VERY nice shots! I'd love to see one of these woodpeckers in person!

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thank you Galeee Paleeee. It's actually kind of weird. I have several kinds of WP in my yard, but the only place that I've seen these guys, even with all of my hiking around this area as well as shooting here, is on the south side of the Guntersville dam.

Gary, Is there such a thing as high-topped / snake-proof waders? :eek:

Very well could be. The light was anything from fairly cloudy to bright sun, and I left the WB at 5300K. It is likely that those taken in the more overcast conditions will look a tad on the cold side. I was just too lazy to adjust properly in PP. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind comments.

Thanks Juanice. You should join us next time.

Anthony, As I told Gale, the only place that I've seen these is around the dam. :confused:

Thanks.

Hey Louie,

WRT this species, see my comments to Gale and Anthony. WRT to your kind comments -- Thanks!! :smile:

Thanks Jim. We did have a very good, relaxing (but HOT) weekend.

Thank you Harry. Good to see you back posting.

Connie, I've told you several times, you are welcome to join us ANY time. :wink: