Some Roman shots

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Ron Reznick, Jun 5, 2007.

1. First, some ceiling studies:

Ch. San Luigi Dei Franchesi, 28/1.4 @ f/2.8:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ch. del Gesu, also 28/1.4 @ f/2.8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ch. Santa Maria in Trastavere, 28/1.4 @ f/2
    [​IMG]

The Pantheon's fabulous concrete dome (a spectacular feat of Roman engineering), 28/1.4 @ f/2 and f/4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting the people in the scene:

Priest at St. Sabina, 28/1.4 @ f/2
    [​IMG]

Nuns at St. Sabina, 28/1.4 @ f/4
    [​IMG]

and finally, three cutesy 'framed' compositions:

Palatine Hill through the Arch of Severus, Roman Forum, 85/1.4 @ f/8
    [​IMG]

Shot through the keyhole of a church's garden gate, 85/1.4 @ f/2.8
    [​IMG]

Through a Colosseum arch, 17-35 AFS @ 20mm, f/11
    [​IMG]

Ron

2. Ron, these are great, but #10 is special!

I thought my lens lust was over, but you've got me hankering for the 28mm f1.4.

PaulC

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic images

4. jbing

jbing

Aug 4, 2005
    Medford, Oregon
    I have been to Rome twice and it is truly and architectural masterpiece for inspiration and photography. Thanks for sharing it brings back great memories.

5. Arif

Arif Guest

Ron,
    beautiful pictures. Love the detail and the composition.

6. The detail in the Arch of Severus is incredible! :smile:

7. Stunningly beautiful images, Ron! Your composition is to be commended.

8. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    WOW!!! Gorgeous!! Are all those handheld??

9. Ron,

I used to live in Italy for 4 years. I had traveled to Rome over 10 times. Your shots brought back some good memories of my time there. Thank you for sharing. They all look great, especially the ones at the Pantheon.

God Bless,
    David

10. Thanks! :^)

Yes, everything including the night shots posted in the other thread (Tower Bridge -- except the Tower Bridge shot), were handheld. It's pretty much impossible to use a tripod there, or forbidden (e.g. in the churches), so I didn't even take one. I borrowed a tripod from Peter Lethbridge for the London Bridge shot.

I took fast glass to Europe for just that reason. The 28/1.4 and 85/1.4 got a LOT of use, believe me.

Ron

PS: Thanks, Sandy and Arif, for commenting on the composition. I was very careful to pay attention to lines and shooting angle, esp. because there often were not many options for shooting positions. It's crowded there.

11. 3 x WOW!

Stunning shots! First of all you must be a rich man... (LOL) all that superior glass... but seriously - you manage how to use it and this is the more important!
    Rome is photographers paradise but you did it the very best way.
    Congratulations

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

12. One question, Ron: what shutter speeds did you achieve in the first 5 pics and what ISO, please?

13. hirez_pez

hirez_pez Guest

All your shots were wonderful but I agree that #10 is special.
    Great work!

14. Hi Rui,

The first five shots are 1/60, 1/80, 1/45, 1/25, and 1/40, all ISO 200. I've shot the 28/1.4 successfully down to 1/10 handheld with crisp results, but really anything below 1/20 it's really better to brace yourself against something if no tripod can be used.

These are my handhold techniques:

Landscape hold:
    LandscapeHold.

Portrait hold:
    PortraitHold.

Ron

15. KrysiaG

KrysiaG Guest

Gorgeous! I wish I had a nice camera when I visited Rome. Thanks for sharing these.

And thanks for sharing your technique.

16. Any time, Krysia :^)

17. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Wonderful series Ron. I'm really delighted with the lustre of the interior shots! The 28 f1.4 has that magic quality about it. The gold interiors help with that of course, but the lens seems to handle light in a very special way, at least with the photos I've seen taken with it. Too bad Nikon has discontinued it.

I love the nuns, and the last with the red flowers illuminated with a little catch-light from the side...very nice!

18. Great series. Those indoor (church) situations is where the 28/1.4 really shines.

I also used mine inside St. Stephen's cathedral in Vienna down to 1/10 (must have had a good day, though :smile:) handheld. However, I must admit that it was slightly better balanced with the D1X than with the D200.
    OTOH, I can now use higher sensitivities on the D200 with better results than with the D1X.

Cheers

19. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

not bad for a former student. :wink:

20. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Geeeze Ron! Hope you didn't take offense. I did add a smiley face.

Don't you remember the early digital days at Steves-Digicams when we met, 1999? The mighty 2.1 MP CP 950 was the digital camera of the day! The D1 had just been released and you were one of the first users. Those were heady times when we all we students of one another. Mike Chaney, you, me and a few others were hacking it out as it happened. I helped you with your eye for composition, you subsequently zenithed past me with technical merrit.

Just trying to reminese and reconnect. I remember those days vividly and with great fondness and respect. Hope you do as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007