Some say i have GAS

Hi guys :D:D
During the last year photography got more and more tempting for me, and eventualy this spring i got my first "real" camera a Nikon Z50 with the FTZ and the 16-50mm kit lens.

Quickly after getting this kit i got sucked into astro photography, and got a sigma 18-35 1,8 art lens and paired it with a cheap "carbon" tripod plus an ioptron tracker. Shortly after i went on ebay and got a Nikon 70-300 DX VR lens.

During this summer i have had fun doing a lot of different photography, i have tried "macro", landscape, city during night and dawn, astro and maybe something i am forgetting. Although i tend to avoid having people in my shots, and am still learning about various settings and composition.
But now fall is here and i have found a sens of what i like to shoot for the time being, astro and landscape may be what i will focus on during the colder months. And during summer i will end up going for macro and wildlife together with a broader rang of what i find interesting to do because of why not.

With all that rambling being said, i am now at the point where i am looking a list of gear i want(NEED!!:whistle::whistle:)
Also my Nikon 70-300 DX lens is getting sold eventually, even if it has been a great learner lens, i can not help but feel like it is holding the camera back with IC and sucks in alot of dust.

The list is as follows

Sigma 60-600 sport or 150-600 sport for wild life

Something around 24-70mm F2,8 or F4,0 for walking around general purpose lens

A sigma or tamron 100 or 150mm macro lens (or a zoom macro)

Am also considering the Z 70-200 F2,8 with a converter (for various nature shoting)

As you can see most on that list will properly be full frame lenses and leads me to my main "itch".
Most of my pictures are taken in darker lighting and night, and astro photography kinda requires me to have external control. (hard to find for the Z50)
After looking into tings and hearing some suggestions, I am looking at getting either the rumored Z7s or Z8.
(the Z5 or Z6 is not really upgrading is it)

Main reasons for me going full frame.

Better low light handling.
Better ISO handling.
Chance of better image quality
more choice of external interval ometer
Charging via usb while powered on (not a requirement)
Use all of the lens
Tougher SD cards (not a requirement)
IBS (nice if lenses is without)

Cons of getting a full frame

Cost of the eventual body
cost of lenses (although most on my list is full frame)
QXDcarsd cost alot more.
Replace my beloved sigma 18-35mm F1,8 art with full frame version equivalent
i might be forgetting some cons.

Am i just being controlled by GAS or is plan not a bad one?

ps Main way of transport is either foot or motorcycle so large heavy lenses are not an option for me.

I can't even begin to answer as I have no experience with the Sigmas you mention, much less astro-photography. Someone with the relevant experience will probably chime in. But just a couple thoughts:

Why do you think a Z6 is not an upgrade?

The rumors (and it is just speculation) is that the Z6s/Z7s will be using the same sensors as the current models. I'm sure there will be functional improvements but I'd wait to see the actual release to see whether what has changed is relevant for what you photograph. The Z8 is currently just vaporware as far as I know.

Between a new full frame camera, a 70-200 2.8, a 24-70 2.8, a new marco, and what looks like a new long tele, you are talking some serious coin. The standard advice is to get as much camera as you need and then the absolute best glass you can get. Compromising on glass is a rookie error IMO.

Nice shots BTW. Is that your ride in the lighthouse photo?

For a 24-70mm f2.8 lens do have a serious look at the Tamron G2 version. I have the Nikon 24-70G version as well and the Tamron in my opinion is far better. Well worth checking out before buying

Last year I made a switch from one system to another, and in the process I told myself that I was not going to rush out and buy a bunch of new lenses all at once, that I would start with a few that I knew I would be using a lot and then as time went on and a need arose (and budget permitted) I would then add other lenses. Started out with a couple of macro prime lenses (90mm and 50mm) and a fast 135mm prime lens (I love macro, abstracts and tabletop photography). A couple of months later I bought a 200-600mm as I actually had a specific purpose for that (wildlife, especially water birds). Added a couple of other (fast) prime lenses over the next few months, and then in the late spring of 2020 as summer approached I bought a 100-400mm lens as a "walk around," because I live on a small lake and we have a lot of wildlife here. The 200-600mm is just a bit too heavy and awkward to carry walking around. It really needs to be on the tripod, and once I got a Wimberley gimbal for the tripod, that is where I've been using that lens ever since. I anticipate using it a lot this winter, shooting from my deck. I've thoroughly enjoyed using the shorter, lighter weight 100-400mm lens over the past several months on frequent walks around my neighborhood and have gotten shots I otherwise would not have been able to capture.

In the meantime, ever since pretty much the beginning I was lusting after another lens which for a while was unavailable, on back-order, so when it finally became available a couple of weeks ago I bought it, as although it is somewhat of a specialty lens (100mm STF), it fits in nicely with the type of shooting I like to do other than wildlife. One area which I have not yet addressed is going wider, as my widest lens at this point is 35mm f/1.8. I'm still mulling over choices and thinking each time that I go out shooting of how or in which situations I would use a wide or ultra-wide lens; I'm not really into landscape or astro photography, but there are other creative ways of using ultra-wide and wide angle lenses. I am definitely a proponent of the concept of buying the best glass possible; I also prefer to buy and use native glass so that I am sure there will be no compromises between it and the camera body to which it is attached.

My recommendation here is take your time; buy a lens after that day when you're out shooting and you think, "dang, I really need a xxx lens for this scene!" Don't buy lenses willy-nilly straightaway thinking that you'll "probably" use them or because other people use them or because there were nice reviews. Make sure that each lens you get is actually going to fulfill a specific purpose for you in your photographic goals. Even if it takes longer to get the money together to buy an expensive lens, too, in the long run that will more than pay off. In photography, just as in many other endeavors, quality shows and quality is worth it.

I have been using the Z6 for about 18 months. I love it. I just bought a Z50 as a second, small walk around camera. I'm impressed with the IQ out of the Z50, although I have only had it a week and haven't put it through it's paces. But so far I don't feel that the IQ is much less than the Z6. If you are still learning, I wouldn't rush in and spend huge amounts of money. I have a 70-200 f2.8 lens, although it is older and I have to use it on the FTZ. But I seldom use it. I think the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 AF-P full frame lens gives excellent IQ on both the Z6 and Z50 and it is much smaller and far less expensive. If you have the need for the faster glass, then go for it, but unless you are sure you do, there are less expensive options that would be much easier for you to transport on your motorcycle. If you think you may go full frame eventually, I would definitely invest in FX glass. But you have a very nice camera. For me, the big benefit of the Z6 over the Z50 is the in body image stabilization. Good luck with your decisions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for your replies every one :)

Right now one of the almost set in stone things is one of the Sigma Sport lenses for wildlife.
My 70-300 DX lens does not have the range i need, and aslo has a few other niggles. So since i got mine cheap i will try and sell it when i get either of the sigma lenses.

One other thing i forgot to mention why i am looking at the Z7 is a co worker can get me a good deal on a new one if i decide to get it later.

the other lenses will be bought over time if i change body, and will postpone getting the body untill i can replace the tele and wideangle i have now if the body comes sooner.
The z50 will get sold to replace for proper glass upgrade when the tome comes.

Right now the prioroty list is looking like this. (not set in stone)

1. Replace the 70-300 DX with one of the Sigma xxx-600 Sport.
2. Get a 24-70 or there about in either 2.8 or 4.0 as general purpose walking lens.
5.later upgrade body to z7 (maybe S) possibly by spring where i get a chance on a good deal
6Replace my current DX sigma 18-35 for FX equivalent. (if body is changed)
(3or4) Get a macro (lens not shure about focal length yet)

During this winter this winter my plan focus on image composure and astro, and start to get to know to use photoshop and improve my handling of lightroom.

ps yes the motorcycle next to the light tower is my ride for now.

here are a few of the night street pics i like to do when i have issues sleeping.
These are with my sigma 18-35 F1.8 art (DX)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

here is the full image of the lighthouse together with
another angle

I have read about the weight and hope it will not be a concern since i am in a good shape (gym rat)
The only concern i have is the vignetting, and am currently being led to bellive that it is easily fixed and can if used the right way be used to add the picture taken.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Random things to think about...... My own experience and thoughts. I'm SURE others will have very different, but valid opinions since we are all different.

If you want a long lens for small animals and/or birding, then you will not need a very short focal length. 200mm at the short end would probably be wide enough. Many shooters prefer to handhold gear when shooting birds in flight. Not many can handhold heavy gear for more than a few minutes before muscles start to quiver making sharp images tough to capture. If shooting "birds on a stick" or stationary small animals, using a tripod works really well.

Wildlife is typically active early and late in the day, when light is low. "Fast glass" (i.e. f4) helps keep the ISO lower thus improving image quality. But fast glass can be very heavy.

Will you stay on tripod a large percentage of time? Then weight of the gear is less of an issue.

Rough estimate of weight:
Carbon fiber tripod 3 lbs
gimbal head 3 lbs
camera body 1.5-3 lbs
500mm or 600mm f4 7-9 lbs
bag with another lens or so, another body, teleconverter, spare cards and batteries. etc = another 10 lbs or so

The Nikon 500mm or 600mm primes (f4) are superb. I owned the 500mm for years and now shoot the 600mm.

If you like to move around then a Nikon 500 PF is hard to beat. And the 300mm PF complements it very well when using a second body. The 300mm takes a 1.4 tele very well....the 500mm not so much.

Another option for mobile shooting is a Nikon 200-500. But it seems most folks shoot it at 500mm over 90% of the time so the 500mm PF would be better if zooming really isn't necessary. Also the ergonimics of the 200-500 require getting used to. It requires gripping and turning the lens twice to zoom from 200 to 500 or vice versa.

I suggest not only shooting a lot more before making a decision, but also renting and trying out lenses to find out what works best for you before spending big dollars.

Sadly where i live buying used can often be an issue, and renting tends to not really be something unavailable unless i have to drive a good distance to pick it up.

am also taking it slow reading reviews and sample pictures.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Sadly where i live buying used can often be an issue, and renting tends to not really be something unavailable unless i have to drive a good distance to pick it up.

am also taking it slow reading reviews and sample pictures.
I too live in a very, very rural area.

I highly recommend LensRentals.com They offer quality rental gear at reasonable prices.

Used gear can be purchased on this site, FredMiranda.com. , B&H, and Adorama to name a few good sites. Murphy's Camera, District Camera and Mike's (in Colorado) and brick and mortar stores that sometimes have used gear.

I've bought a LOT of cameras and lenses used. Just use common sense regarding condition of gear and integrity of the individual selling the stuff.

Reviews are a good start - but only IF you use unbiased, honest information provided by respected people who 1) actually USE the products in their professional role as photographers (i.e.NOT Influencers) and 2) reviewing products just to make money from the products they review such as click-bait articles/videos, etc. Getting opinions from users on a photo site such as this is a great way to learn!

Sample pictures on the internet can be very misleading. I personally put little stock in them. Steve Perry is to be highly trusted. I suggest you read a LOT of the information on his website! Others will probably chime in with names of others that give honest

Getting out and taking photos and finding out what, how and where you shoot will give you the BEST idea of what you need.

Last edited:
unfortunately i live in Denmark, and most gear rental is over 1 hrs drive to pick up. and few used lenses are available in usable condition and then are often 75% of new price.

wich leaves me with the terror of ebay :eek:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
unfortunately i live in Denmark, and most gear rental is over 1 hrs drive to pick up. and few used lenses are available in usable condition and then are often 75% of new price.

wich leaves me with the terror of ebay :eek:
Good to know. If you filled in the location information in your profile that would be helpful.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom