Some say i have GAS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Am looking as renting as an option, the few i have seen do not have the lenses i am looking at.
And the prices add up making it almost 30% og the lens price for a few days.

The 70-24 S lens is a bit out of my current reach compared to the kit version. (dang i would not mind owning one)

Currently my upper limit would be about the price of the sigma 60-00 sport lens for glass. (where i can save up within a reasonable time)

Though i am not rushing out to buy stuff yet, the planned changes will be made incrementally. I think realistacly i will take about 18 months from this time, the body will be bought at the earliest spring 2021 at around Easter.

Hi guys :D:D
During the last year photography got more and more tempting for me, and eventualy this spring i got my first "real" camera a Nikon Z50 with the FTZ and the 16-50mm kit lens.

Quickly after getting this kit i got sucked into astro photography, and got a sigma 18-35 1,8 art lens and paired it with a cheap "carbon" tripod plus an ioptron tracker. Shortly after i went on ebay and got a Nikon 70-300 DX VR lens.

During this summer i have had fun doing a lot of different photography, i have tried "macro", landscape, city during night and dawn, astro and maybe something i am forgetting. Although i tend to avoid having people in my shots, and am still learning about various settings and composition.
But now fall is here and i have found a sens of what i like to shoot for the time being, astro and landscape may be what i will focus on during the colder months. And during summer i will end up going for macro and wildlife together with a broader rang of what i find interesting to do because of why not.

With all that rambling being said, i am now at the point where i am looking a list of gear i want(NEED!!:whistle::whistle:)
Also my Nikon 70-300 DX lens is getting sold eventually, even if it has been a great learner lens, i can not help but feel like it is holding the camera back with IC and sucks in alot of dust.

The list is as follows

Sigma 60-600 sport or 150-600 sport for wild life

Something around 24-70mm F2,8 or F4,0 for walking around general purpose lens

A sigma or tamron 100 or 150mm macro lens (or a zoom macro)

Am also considering the Z 70-200 F2,8 with a converter (for various nature shoting)

As you can see most on that list will properly be full frame lenses and leads me to my main "itch".
Most of my pictures are taken in darker lighting and night, and astro photography kinda requires me to have external control. (hard to find for the Z50)
After looking into tings and hearing some suggestions, I am looking at getting either the rumored Z7s or Z8.
(the Z5 or Z6 is not really upgrading is it)

Main reasons for me going full frame.

Better low light handling.
Better ISO handling.
Chance of better image quality
more choice of external interval ometer
Charging via usb while powered on (not a requirement)
Use all of the lens
Tougher SD cards (not a requirement)
IBS (nice if lenses is without)

Cons of getting a full frame

Cost of the eventual body
cost of lenses (although most on my list is full frame)
QXDcarsd cost alot more.
Replace my beloved sigma 18-35mm F1,8 art with full frame version equivalent
i might be forgetting some cons.

Am i just being controlled by GAS or is plan not a bad one?

ps Main way of transport is either foot or motorcycle so large heavy lenses are not an option for me.
My advice is, keep the Z50 for video work and situations where you need the extra reach the crop provides. The Z50 shoots faster fps which will help on certain things. The Z7 can be used for low light, wide angle type work. You also get really good images from the Z7 cropped mode. If you are sharing photos online those cropped photos will still be good enough.Z50 and Z7 are a power team.

Im using these lenses across both cameras and it gives me a lot of different focal lengths:
Sigma 18-35mm f1.8
Nikkor 70-300mm AFP VR
Sigma 14mm f1.8
Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 50mm f1.4
Nikkor 85mm f1.8

I have a z50 and z7 and the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is amazing on both but the z7 in crop mode produces better images. The 70-300VR is my least favorite. During the day it does well but at night its a painful experience.

Regarding the low light performance....The Z50 isnt far off from the Z7. Here are some examples.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Z7 ISO 6400 14mm f1.8 13 seconds

Z50 13 seconds ISO 6400 Sigma 18-35mm f1.8

Thx for the input. :)
those are some fine looking pics.

Right now i am still having the internal debate about keeping the Z50. since selling the Z50 would pay for some of the new glass, but spring is still far off and never know what will happen in my job situation.

This is one of the decent night shots i have so far trying astro scenes.
mtkloster1.1.jpg

i have others yet to be processed but am still having fun learning on the way.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom