Some shots form the pond today (5/6)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, May 6, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Patrick and I stopped by the pond for a little while (before I had to go back into work :?). We had quite a few shooting opportunities, but they were all Mallards, and believe me, these guys are extremely hard to track (they fly at about 60MPH).

Here are a few flight shots. Not very good, but all I got. Also some static shots that I like. All taken with the D2H / 300mm F2.8 + TC-14EII.

Harsh back lighting on this one:
    [​IMG]

These guys (and a gal...;-)) made several loops around us. Didn't get many good shots, but this one isn't too bad:
    [​IMG]

A head-on shot of this guy:
    [​IMG]

Mallard chick:
    [​IMG]

This gal was getting pursued by all of the boy Mallards:
    [​IMG]

Patrick and think this fellow (or gal) was injured. Looks a little bloody:
    [​IMG]

Going back out to the pond in the morning early. Hopefully, we'll do a little better.

Regards,

2. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Not very Good? Frank, your flight shots are amazing. these too.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind words Craig. I just felt like I had the yips today. I had a number of potentially killer shot opportunities, but either missed the focus lock, or just couldn't get lined up. Don't know what the problem was.

Like I said, Mallards have always been a challenge for me. :?

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    A head shot is better than a butt shot anyday!

Love these head-on shots, they're spectacular, esp the pursuit shot! Sure would like to get one someday. Is your camera set to shoot even if it doesn't have a focus lock? (sry, don't know what thats called right now).

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: A head shot is better than a butt shot anyday!

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. 8)

I think the modes are called shot FPS rate, FPS rate + AF, and Focus. I have mine set in the middle one (FPS rate + AF). When shooting really fast moving scenes, the cam will hesitate if it loses focus lock for a moment. I still get OOF shots, but I assume that is because the blasted thing locks on something in the background (totally the cam's fault, of course....;-)).

6. great shots frank, was that last one a self portrait? 8)

Some killer flight shots. Super sharp and well exposed.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

You've sure got a lock on capturing those fast ducks man....

I think that I need some lessons :)

8. Dirtyharry71

Dirtyharry71 Guest

nr3 is the max ! :D

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You got some good ones there Flew. Good job. Love the little chick. Turtle is a great shot to and the head one wow.

10. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

I really like the second image with the three birds in formation together. Looks sharp, pleasing and with good framing (and the actual frame is nice too).

Joel.

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Flew,

Very nice images especially the second one. The missing element I see so often on avian images is an interesting composition. You nailed it on the second one....outstanding.

Congrats

12. I don't know how you do it Frank!!!! Those flight shots are incredibly sharp and I know how fast those guys can move. I really like shots showing behaviour, like the male chasing the female.

13. Frank,
    You make difficult shots look easy. Shooting ducks in flight is hard but the combo you used is even harder, you did a fantastic job.
    Pete