Some shots form the pond today (5/6)

Patrick and I stopped by the pond for a little while (before I had to go back into work :?). We had quite a few shooting opportunities, but they were all Mallards, and believe me, these guys are extremely hard to track (they fly at about 60MPH).

Here are a few flight shots. Not very good, but all I got. Also some static shots that I like. All taken with the D2H / 300mm F2.8 + TC-14EII.

Harsh back lighting on this one:
21419902-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These guys (and a gal...;-)) made several loops around us. Didn't get many good shots, but this one isn't too bad:
21419900-O.jpg

A head-on shot of this guy:
21419903-O.jpg

Mallard chick:
21419905-O.jpg

This gal was getting pursued by all of the boy Mallards:
21419907-O.jpg

Patrick and think this fellow (or gal) was injured. Looks a little bloody:
21419908-O.jpg

Going back out to the pond in the morning early. Hopefully, we'll do a little better.

Regards,

Thanks for the kind words Craig. I just felt like I had the yips today. I had a number of potentially killer shot opportunities, but either missed the focus lock, or just couldn't get lined up. Don't know what the problem was.

Like I said, Mallards have always been a challenge for me. :?

A head shot is better than a butt shot anyday!

Love these head-on shots, they're spectacular, esp the pursuit shot! Sure would like to get one someday. Is your camera set to shoot even if it doesn't have a focus lock? (sry, don't know what thats called right now).

Re: A head shot is better than a butt shot anyday!

Steve S said:
Love these head-on shots, they're spectacular, esp the pursuit shot! Sure would like to get one someday. Is your camera set to shoot even if it doesn't have a focus lock? (sry, don't know what thats called right now).

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. 8)

I think the modes are called shot FPS rate, FPS rate + AF, and Focus. I have mine set in the middle one (FPS rate + AF). When shooting really fast moving scenes, the cam will hesitate if it loses focus lock for a moment. I still get OOF shots, but I assume that is because the blasted thing locks on something in the background (totally the cam's fault, of course....;-)).

You got some good ones there Flew. Good job. Love the little chick. Turtle is a great shot to and the head one wow.

J

jkamphof

I really like the second image with the three birds in formation together. Looks sharp, pleasing and with good framing (and the actual frame is nice too).

Joel.

Hi Flew,

Very nice images especially the second one. The missing element I see so often on avian images is an interesting composition. You nailed it on the second one....outstanding.

Congrats

I don't know how you do it Frank!!!! Those flight shots are incredibly sharp and I know how fast those guys can move. I really like shots showing behaviour, like the male chasing the female.

Latest threads

Top Bottom