Some Shots from Bermuda Cruise

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Nacho, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Hi Folks:

Thought I'd post a few images taken during my recent trip to Bermuda aboard Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas. It was my first cruise ever, and went with a 21 person family contingent. Here are some shots taken here and there around the ship. The second post will have some of Bermuda:

The ship at night -- from a small hill overlooking the Naval Dockyard:

[​IMG]

Two funky attempts that still need post-processing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pool on deck 9 at night:

[​IMG]

The photographer in the hall of mirrors (the elevator):

[​IMG]

Misty pool area, taken early morning with the lens fogged just so:

[​IMG]

Another shot of the pool area:

[​IMG]

Most of these taken with D300 and 35-70mm 2.8D, or with D70 with a Sigma 10-20mm.

Best Regards,

Nacho :smile:

2. nice shots
    looks like a great time

any shots of the food presentation?

3. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Bermuda, Part II

Greg, unfortunately no, I did not take any of the food presentation! Don't know what I was thinking, as it was plentiful indeed. Here are a few more from the island:

Family member enjoying the ocean:

[​IMG]

From the ferry returning from St. George:

[​IMG]

From the deck, the clocktower at the Naval Dockyard:

[​IMG]

Beach shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An evening shot:

[​IMG]

Best Regards,

Nacho :smile:

4. RayLarson

RayLarson

Mar 27, 2007
    Pawtucket, RI
    Great shots. I especially liked the night shots of the ship. I still have a lot of work to do with night shooting. Good technique seems to elude me.

Excellent work

5. Very well composed shots. I also like the night shots. Most people don't take a camera with them at night when strolling the deck and this shows us what is being missed.

6. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Ray, Norm, thanks so much for the kind comments. Yes, I enjoyed walking the deck at night with the camera. Didn't see anybody else taking shots. In fact, when I was finally leaving, I saw a lady with a huge Kata bag and other camera gear, but I never did see her taking shots anywhere. I got up early one morning for the sunrise, and it was me and maybe one other person taking pictures. I had a blast taking pics! : )

Ray, the night shots were with a tripod and some patience, in manual mode so that I could jiggle every exposure element and tweak it to my heart's content. I tend to bracket exposure manually, taking one or more shots in either direction, looking for overall lighting and how any bright lights in the shot appear. I had the hardest of times with the last shot of the boats because two of the boats were moving side to side with the swell. The long exposure meant that those boats kept coming out blurred because of the motion. So, I kept at it until there was a moment of relative calm, and even then there is motion blur in some of that scene.

Thanks again,

Nacho

7. Very timely post....first of all, LOVE the shots...second of all......Me and SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) are going on a Caribbean cruise in a just over 2 months, we are on the Freedom Of The Seas. I was going to ask what you took in the way of equipment, what do you think you took that you didn't need, what didn't you take that you should have???? Lenses, bodies, Anything that would be a great help.....Seems i can't take everything cuz "SHE" wants to take clothes as well :) 

8. Zelaya

Zelaya

Aug 20, 2007
    Maryland
    Great shots

9. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks Oscar! Here in Maryland eh? : ) Thanks Garrie!

Garrie, hey, have a lot of fun! Let me see, I took my D300, a D70, a 50mm 1.8, a 35-70mm 2.8D, a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G (non VR, older model), a Nikon 18-70mm, and a Sigma 10-20mm, along with tripod and an SB-800.

I mostly used three lenses: 35-70mm 2.8D, the Sigma 10-20mm, and the Nikkor 70-300mm. I wish I had used the 18-70mm more often, as it would have proven more versatile in some of the enclosed spaces in the ship. The 10-20mm I had pretty much constantly attached to the D70. The most annoying thing was changing lenses. In Bermuda I wanted more reach and ended up changing to the 70-300mm on the D300.

Challenges: the island was windy, with sand, and saltpeter in the air. Have to be careful. On the ship, I wish I had had something heavy to steady the tripod. The wind in the upper deck was pretty fierce some days, and I felt a bit off balance with some of the rocking and the wind. I took my Kata backpack, and that was helpful for hikes and heading to the beach on the bus, but I wish I had brought along a fanny pack or other quick access shoulder bag or backpack. I also would recommend a graduated neutral density filter.

Were I to do it again I would carry two bodies and equip one with a 17-70, or 17-55, or some such lens (a 2.8 if possible), and one with say a 70-300mm VR. That would provide good travel versatility and range. I would carry an ultra wide angle, but I am not sure I would keep it on all the time. The 70-300mm VR is inexpensive enough but I think darn good. Your 18-200mm is good for Travel. That might be all you need if you want to go light, although a low light marvel like the 50mm is good to have around and does not take too much space.

I had extra batteries (good!), and plenty of cleaning materials (the lenses fog in the morning air between the air conditioning of the stateroom and conditions outside, and the saltpeter might leave residue on the lens). I also should have bought an extra lens cap (I think a skylight or UV filter could be handy in surf and sand situations) - it is amazing where sand will make its way.

Have a grand time! and thanks again,

Nacho

10. I love the shot of the clock towers. Good Work. I wish I could've been there!

11. Fantastic

Fantastic photography Nacho, I really love the first, third and fourth picture of the first series.

Truly great night photography and composition.

12. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks Scott! It was truly loads of fun. I can't help but also render a critique as I do these things (can't help it, I am trained to look and observe all this stuff), and think about the waste that I saw, but the time with family, the beauty of the Ocean, Bermuda, and the kindness of the folks we met, was just wonderful.
    <p>
    I was glad to have as much time as I did for taking the shots. One other thing I would recommend to whomever goes... is to take your time with the photography. I felt a bit rushed -- there was always something going on, or people going by, or family in need of attention, or I needed to be here or there for some event, etc. and my shooting too often was marked by a sense of "gotta take this and run." Not the best way to, as Thom Hogan would say, "get the pixels right."

Dude! Thanks man, I truly appreciate your comments. I kept my fingers crossed during some of those shots! The one of the whole cruise ship at night (the first one in the first series) I took from a road with mopeds and cars going by pretty fast. I got off my moped, walked a stretch onto the road, and set up the tripod and camera. It was a dark spot though, and the other cars and mopeds coming by were surprised to find me on the side of the road (no sidewalk and no grass, just a retaining wall). I took the shot and made it back to the ship safely.

Thanks again!

Best,

N

13. Great Pics Nacho.

14. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Very nice photos. The night shots aboard ship are awesome. Wish I had been there.

15. Spanky

Spanky

Nov 10, 2007
    Kentucky
    You put a lot of work into these photographs and it shows. They are so sharp and clear. The detail is excellent. Thanks for posting.

16. Very nice set. I'm going on a cruise next January and was wondering what lenses to take and if I want to lug a full tripod or not. I was planning on the 18-70 plus a 35-f/2 as it is a family gathering and want to travel light, else the wife will complain (thus the dilemma on the full tripod) and also am not sure about taking the Sigma 10-20.

17. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Great series. Your shots are all very nice but I favor the clocktower shot too. Looks like a beautiful ship.

18. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Nice series...........you remind me of when I use to cruise (been on 11 of them). You might have just given me the itch to book number 12! You can't go wrong for what you get on a cruise for the price, plus the variety of people of you meet.

19. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks

Thanks all. I appreciate the kind words. Sorry for replying so late, went off for a few days.

Alex: If I wanted to travel relatively lightly, I would take the 18-200mm, and the 35mm f/2. The 18-200 gives you more versatility and less lens changes than the 18-70mm. Do take the tripod, especially if you even want to attempt dusk, sunset, sunrise, indoor lighting, or night pics. If you want great landscape shots the tripod I consider a must.

That is a quick travel combination if you have an 18-200. I would consider renting it if you don't already have it. You could have a great time with the Sigma 10-20mm doing wacky family portraits...

Otherwise the 18-70mm is a fine everyday walk about lens, the 35mm f/2 is there for low light, and consider the flash for fill in light and those family shots/portraits. I was glad I had my SB-800 because I had a few folks from the family ask for portraits.

Best, and thanks again,

N :smile:

20. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Nacho,

Wonderful series! Looks like you and the family had a blast... Was it your family, your wife's family, or both?

As a first time cruiser, what did you like best about the cruise itself? The least? Would you cruise again? I know you were in a different situation, but I ask because (as you may remember from our chat at the fountain) I'm taking my mother on a Southern Caribbean cruise (my first) at the end of this year. I've never been that interested in cruising, but I'm doing it because she wants to go...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.