Some shots from the picnic

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Flew, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    As I described in my earlier post, I didn't have much luck with the 70-200VR and 500D combo although I did get a couple of shots with it. These were all taken with the 70-200VR alone. Not exactly macro photography, but we did have a great time, and got some decent pics. Note that all but the 500D shot were from at least 5 feet. ?:

Butterflies:
    [​IMG]

I love the little tiny mite on the center of the flower near the bottom:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beetle (500D):
    [​IMG]

A few more from the first day of the picnic can be seen here:
    http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/664741/1/28649089

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful buttering flies Frank.....Gorgeous.

Guess the beetle don't move to fast...lololol Great shot.

3. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Great shots.... maybe a true macro is not needed when you get shots like that...

Tim

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gale VR VR VR. :)

Tim, I'm proud of these, being a relative newcomer to macro shooting, but I want to get shots like Martin (kramp) and Klaus. These are not really close to their fabulous results. All things considered though, I'll take them. :wink:

Thanks again,

5. Guess I shoulda looked at this thread before I was teasing you in the other! :oops:

Can you take a bad photo?

6. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    yup, these are good also.

7. Frank you can get that close with the 70-200VR?

8. Neil

Neil

Jul 8, 2005
    Douglasville, GA
    Gale very nice shots like the beetle shot best of all. The detail you captured makes my eyes very happy.
    Neil

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sweet images as always Frank. Like everyone has said, the beetle is awesome.

10. Love th bug eyed butterfly an dliek the others have said that bettle rocks

11. Great butterflies shots, Frank. Lighting and composition are very good. Appreciates them all.

12. Those are great Frank, excellent.

Martin

13. WOW these are amazing. Great job.

14. They are outstanding, Frank. I especially like the last one. Lighting is perfect.

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank -

These are really good. The butterfly is drop-dead gorgeous. Just think what you will be able to due when you get the right equipment! :wink: This is almost - but not quite - enough to get me interested in macro photography. Although I never pass up a good butterfly when I happen to see one.

Gordon

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gordon and everyone!! I didn't notice that I'd gotten several additional responses since I last looked at this thread. I really appreciate all of the positive feedback.

Gordon, compared to shooting birds, and particularly flying birds, macro photography is very relaxing. You don't get the big adrenaline rush when you see the birds coming, but you don't sit in the hot sun (or cold wind) for hours waiting for something to happen either. 8)

You should give it a try.

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank -

Tell me about the hot sun and long waits! Yesterday I went with a friend (the one I told you about who I am trying to recruit to the Cafe) to Stone Harbor and Cape May, NJ. We knew that it was early for migratory birds, but we knew there are year-round residents and hoped for a few early migrators. Well, we made a mistake because there were very few birds. But that didn't stop us from standing and waiting, or walking with tripod and big lens, from 6:30am to 4pm, most of the time in 90+ sun. When we finally found a cooperative Black-Crowned Night Heron, each of us got so excited that we fired more than 100 shots in frustration! Actually some were pretty good and I'll be posting a few.

So consider your point well made. Mike Mac and I went after flowers the day before - he's posted a bunch and I just put my first ones up. Much the same as macro work - very relaxing.

Gordon