Some shots from the picnic

As I described in my earlier post, I didn't have much luck with the 70-200VR and 500D combo although I did get a couple of shots with it. These were all taken with the 70-200VR alone. Not exactly macro photography, but we did have a great time, and got some decent pics. Note that all but the 500D shot were from at least 5 feet. ?:

Butterflies:
28649098-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I love the little tiny mite on the center of the flower near the bottom:
28649091-O.jpg

28649099-O.jpg

Beetle (500D):
28649089-O.jpg

A few more from the first day of the picnic can be seen here:
http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/664741/1/28649089

Beautiful buttering flies Frank.....Gorgeous.

Guess the beetle don't move to fast...lololol Great shot.

Great shots.... maybe a true macro is not needed when you get shots like that...

Tim

Thanks Gale VR VR VR. :)

Tim, I'm proud of these, being a relative newcomer to macro shooting, but I want to get shots like Martin (kramp) and Klaus. These are not really close to their fabulous results. All things considered though, I'll take them. :wink:

Thanks again,

G

Gordon Large

Hey Frank -

These are really good. The butterfly is drop-dead gorgeous. Just think what you will be able to due when you get the right equipment! :wink: This is almost - but not quite - enough to get me interested in macro photography. Although I never pass up a good butterfly when I happen to see one.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon and everyone!! I didn't notice that I'd gotten several additional responses since I last looked at this thread. I really appreciate all of the positive feedback.

Gordon, compared to shooting birds, and particularly flying birds, macro photography is very relaxing. You don't get the big adrenaline rush when you see the birds coming, but you don't sit in the hot sun (or cold wind) for hours waiting for something to happen either. 8)

You should give it a try.

G

Gordon Large

Flew said:
Gordon, compared to shooting birds, and particularly flying birds, macro photography is very relaxing. You don't get the big adrenaline rush when you see the birds coming, but you don't sit in the hot sun (or cold wind) for hours waiting for something to happen either.

You should give it a try.

Hey Frank -

Tell me about the hot sun and long waits! Yesterday I went with a friend (the one I told you about who I am trying to recruit to the Cafe) to Stone Harbor and Cape May, NJ. We knew that it was early for migratory birds, but we knew there are year-round residents and hoped for a few early migrators. Well, we made a mistake because there were very few birds. But that didn't stop us from standing and waiting, or walking with tripod and big lens, from 6:30am to 4pm, most of the time in 90+ sun. When we finally found a cooperative Black-Crowned Night Heron, each of us got so excited that we fired more than 100 shots in frustration! Actually some were pretty good and I'll be posting a few.

So consider your point well made. Mike Mac and I went after flowers the day before - he's posted a bunch and I just put my first ones up. Much the same as macro work - very relaxing.

Gordon

Latest threads

Top Bottom