1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some shots from today

Discussion in 'People' started by Medic1210, Jul 4, 2008.

1. My sister-in-law came into town today, so I jumped at the chance for an impromptu photoshoot. She didn't come particularly dressed for the occasion, but she's a very pretty young woman, so it wasn't hard to pull a few decent shots. Not great lighting at all. Sun was high and bright. I had one 15' pin oak tree in my front yard and I had her stand in it's shadow for these. These are just the first two I have worked, and I am quite pleased with what I've done, but it's pretty hard to be very subjective with your own work, especially after you've put 20 or 30 minutes in photoshop touching things up. So, that being said, please be honest, and let me know what you think. What did I miss? What should be done differently? Shot with D80 and Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR in RAW. Converted in CS3, boosted vibrance and contrast, whitened teeth a bit, lightened her face and eyes, then added a bit of a vignette to draw attention to her face. Anyway, here are the first two I've messed with.

Thanks,

Mike

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I think they look great, nice job.

3. Mike, these are a couple of very nice images. Looks like you did a good job dealing with the harsh light.

4. Besides the fact that they are nice pictures if I was going to be really picky I'd say the eye sockets are a bit dark . I might have to shoot RAW with my D80 as well , matrix metering is awfull .

5. JMontes

JMontes

Jun 22, 2007
    Edgartown, MA
    Mike, would love to have the RAW file in my posession for playing with. You have a fantastic shot, would love to do a bit more with it. Not number 2, but definitely number 1!!! The composition just seems perfect!

I like it so much, I couldn't tell you how to improve it without messing with it myself!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  6. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Mike,

All around excellent captures and a beautiful subject, very alluring eyes in my view.

7. mike
    good for you
    very pretty lady
    glad you took advantage of the shooting situation

well done

8. I've fixed the dark bags under her eyes now. Used the healing brush to remove them on a separate layer, and then reduced the opacity some to bring back the original detail just a bit since, well, they are a part of her natural face, and she didn't look like herself with them completely removed. I think she will be pleased with they way it looks now. Thanks for the tips.

BTW, I've uploaded the fixed eye sockets in place of the original files, so they should show up in the original post now. I have noticed that with PBase, sometimes the "new" image doesn't always immediately appear on your screen. This may be due to the cache on your computer though. If you're still seeing the dark eye sockets, let me know, or try cleaning your file cache and see if it fixes it. The changes are definitely noticeable, but not overdone I don't think.

Thanks again for the tips. It's things like this I usually miss the first go round.

Mike

9. Mike - great work - very nice photos. She's a looker.

10. A lovely young lady for sure. You have done well with your processing. It is difficult to shoot on a bright sunny day but it looks like you have pulled it off.

11. Great shots of a lovely young lady. She's got great eyes.

12. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Nice work Mike - I especially like the first image. She's a beautiful young lady!

13. Thanks for the compliments guys.

14. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Those are very nice shots and you are right, she's a very pretty lady.

15. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Nice work Mike. I see you are apparently a medic. I did the same for 15 years, then got wore out. Back, knees, wrist...all wore out, but I would not hesitate to do it again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.