Some shots with the "cheap" glass....

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
2,485
Location
South Florida
well, I brought back the 300 f2.8. It sure is an outstanding example of fine Nikon glass. I went out with my 300 f4 and 1.4x this morning. Grant it, some of these shots were cropped way too much and more mm's were needed. My lens felt like a filter compared to the 2.8, but here goes.

Incoming! Thats what we'd say with Frank around and he'd whip about and fire off some flight shots. Here's my meager attempt:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

some stationary stuff...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


this is heavily cropped:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


View attachment 13779

hope to someday get a 200-400 or 500mm, like the big guns here have....
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Very nice shots Harris. Certainly nothing wrong with the 300 f4. I often use your shots as an example of what this lens can do when folks ask me what bird lens they should buy. These are just more excellent examples. 8)
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
2,485
Location
South Florida
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
Flew said:
Very nice shots Harris. Certainly nothing wrong with the 300 f4. I often use your shots as an example of what this lens can do when folks ask me what bird lens they should buy. These are just more excellent examples. 8)
Thanks, but I definitely need more lens. 420mm at f5.6 isnt near as good as 550mm at that f stop on a 200-400. Of course, a 500 f4 would be nice too, giving me 700mm at that f stop. It goes on and on and on....
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
5,525
Location
Viera, Florida
Outstanding shots Harris. Of course you need more mm. I'm convinced now that I need to sell the 500 and get the 600. :lol:
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,741
Location
SE Florida
Nice variety of birds

Where's you spot all these babies, and what is that 2nd one? Good stuff? Makes me wanna get my butt down there sooner than planned!
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
963
Location
Southeast Texas
Great shots, Harris! I know that feeling aobut needing more mm - I was at a local site last weekend with lots of birds, but my 300 f4 with TC14 just wasn't enough reach to capture good shots. Of course it may be cheaper to take Sandi's approach and get a kayak!
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
2,485
Location
South Florida
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #7
HarryB said:
Outstanding shots Harris. Of course you need more mm. I'm convinced now that I need to sell the 500 and get the 600. :lol:
So how much you want for it? 8)
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
2,485
Location
South Florida
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
Re: Nice variety of birds

Steve S said:
Where's you spot all these babies, and what is that 2nd one? Good stuff? Makes me wanna get my butt down there sooner than planned!
Steve, all these were shot at Bear Point on the Island. It's back open and since the construction is over, full of wildlife.

The second one, I believe its an immature black skimmer
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
2,485
Location
South Florida
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #9
drueter said:
Great shots, Harris! I know that feeling aobut needing more mm - I was at a local site last weekend with lots of birds, but my 300 f4 with TC14 just wasn't enough reach to capture good shots. Of course it may be cheaper to take Sandi's approach and get a kayak!
Thanks, but Kayaking? Too much like work... 8)
 
B

bfjr

Guest
Gee now I feel bad. Does this mean that my 300F4+1.4 can't cut it :)

Great shots.
 

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom