Some shots with the "cheap" glass....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Aug 14, 2005.

1. well, I brought back the 300 f2.8. It sure is an outstanding example of fine Nikon glass. I went out with my 300 f4 and 1.4x this morning. Grant it, some of these shots were cropped way too much and more mm's were needed. My lens felt like a filter compared to the 2.8, but here goes.

Incoming! Thats what we'd say with Frank around and he'd whip about and fire off some flight shots. Here's my meager attempt:

original.

original.
    some stationary stuff...
    original.

original.

this is heavily cropped:
    original.

View attachment 13779

hope to someday get a 200-400 or 500mm, like the big guns here have....

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Harris. Certainly nothing wrong with the 300 f4. I often use your shots as an example of what this lens can do when folks ask me what bird lens they should buy. These are just more excellent examples. 8)

3. Thanks, but I definitely need more lens. 420mm at f5.6 isnt near as good as 550mm at that f stop on a 200-400. Of course, a 500 f4 would be nice too, giving me 700mm at that f stop. It goes on and on and on....

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding shots Harris. Of course you need more mm. I'm convinced now that I need to sell the 500 and get the 600. :lol:

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice variety of birds

Where's you spot all these babies, and what is that 2nd one? Good stuff? Makes me wanna get my butt down there sooner than planned!

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great shots, Harris! I know that feeling aobut needing more mm - I was at a local site last weekend with lots of birds, but my 300 f4 with TC14 just wasn't enough reach to capture good shots. Of course it may be cheaper to take Sandi's approach and get a kayak!

7. So how much you want for it? 8)

8. Re: Nice variety of birds

Steve, all these were shot at Bear Point on the Island. It's back open and since the construction is over, full of wildlife.

The second one, I believe its an immature black skimmer

9. Thanks, but Kayaking? Too much like work... 8)

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Gee now I feel bad. Does this mean that my 300F4+1.4 can't cut it :)

Great shots.

11. Is there no end to our lust for longer glass?? You have some nice images here Harris.