1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some shots

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Hello!

Here´s some shots I took when visiting at the summer cottage... All taken with 300mm AF-S f4 and damsels with Nikon PN-11 tube, exept #1 just 300mm...

#1 Female Calopteryx splendens
    Calopteryxsplendens-2.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/200s    ISO 400

#2 Male Lestes dryas
    Lestesdryas1.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/80s    ISO 400

#3 Male Ischnura elegans
    Ischnuraelegans.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/45s    ISO 200

#4 Ischnura elegans pair
    Ischnuraelegans-2.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/160s    ISO 200

#5 Female Lestes sponsa
    Lestessponsa-3.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/60s    ISO 200

#6 Female Cordulegaster boltonii (She was huge!!!)
    Cordulegasterboltonii.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/7.1    1/250s    ISO 100

#7 Female Sympetrum danae
    Sympetrumdanae-1.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/5.6    1/350s    ISO 200

#8 Last but not least, one of my favourites, a male Ophiogomphus cecilia giving a funny face
    Ophiogomphuscecilia-4.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/7.1    1/250s    ISO 100

Thanks for looking! :smile:

2. All fantastic Jukka, difficult to pick a fave out of those but I like #5 with the damsel feeding.

Our season is pretty poor in the UK, not much Odonata about at all :0(

Cheers

Alex

3. Beautiful sharp images with excellent color. Very nice series for sure.

4. Great images, Jukka. I enjoyed every one. Wonderful job capturing them. Thanks for sharing them.

5. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Superb images Jukka.

6. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Great images Jukka.
    Have you ever noticed that some insects look like their names sound -- at least in a slang sort of way? Ophiogomphus cecilia is one of those. Another that comes to mind is the bee fly Bombylius major.:biggrin:

7. Excellent, Jukka!
    I think #5 is just my favourite because of the beautiful background and number of different green tones in the photo.

Alan

8. Thanks, Alex!

Thats´s not nice thing to hear! I think we may also have some slowing down since wonderful opening here... at least couple of very common species were disapeared totally in the area I shot these... Also for two day we were trying to find a certain species in there but no such a luck...

By the way, it was interesting to watch that L.sponsa hunting: couple of missed hits and on the third hit she got that (tiny moth?) which was sitting on a grass...

Thanks, Gordon!

Thanks, Tom!

Thanks, Scott!

Thanks, Bob!

:biggrin: Yes, there´s all sorts of strange thoughts when reading those scientific names... I also think that who ever gave the finnish names for our butterflies must have a strange sense of humor :smile:

Thanks, Alan!

I think it´s my favourite too, I just wish that one grass on right side wouldn´t be there :smile:

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent Jukka. I like all of them. The Cordulegaster boltonii and the Ophiogomphus cecilia are quite rare here in Denmark and observed rather a long way from where I live so I really enjoyed seing these.

10. Wow! Great captures! Thanks for sharing! :) 

11. Jukka, One other thing, what sort of shutter speed/aperture are you getting with the 300mm + PN11? What ISO?

I got a used PN-11 from a guy in Canada so I will be using that from now on.

Cheers

Alex

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.