1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some Studio Portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by antsplan, Jul 16, 2008.

1. I joined a studio portraiture class at night school, here are a few of the shots. Opinions/CC always welcome :smile:

Ksenia
    2510084832_348ea3e3ea_o.
    NIKON D300    ---    62mm    f/8.0    1/125s    ISO 200

1 x Bowens 500 in large softbox high and almost frontal but slightly to camera right. 1 x Bowens 500 with snoot and green coloured gel, low and pointing up onto black background. The circular effect was then created by using an item with holes placed in front of the light to act as a gobo, thought the green worked well with Ksenia's hair ??
    Some skin smoothing done in PP.

Amber
    2502605588_b63c77b699_o.

45 degree lighting from a softbox and a brolly both with bowens 500's. Brolly to camera left with slightly less power than softbox to camera right.

Ross
    2511627430_1f9684bff1_o.
    NIKON D300    ---    31mm    f/8.0    1/125s    ISO 100

From what I remember the lighting was 1 x bowens 500 fired into a brolly at 45 deg to camera left, 1 x bowens 500 with barn doors just on the edge of the models left side (camera right).

In post processing I ended up with approximately 20 layers, involving high pass sharpening, USM, shadow/contrast adjustments, dodge/burn and solid fill layers, the image has also been desaturated a little.

Paul
    2510044710_78224e4de5_o.
    NIKON D300    ---    48mm    f/9.0    1/125s    ISO 200

2 x Bowens 500 shot into brolly and pointed at background. 1 x Bowens 500 in large softbox almost frontal and above model. 2 x large flag's used to control spill, either side of model. Background metered at approx 1 stop brighter than subject.

Studio lighting (and portraiture for that matter) is a fairly new subject to me so I'm happy to take any advice. Thank you.

2. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I love the first one especially the red/green contrast. The bunny could hop away for me. I work with the guy in #3.

3. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Nice work........I like #1 and #3. I think sharpening the eyes in #1 would have been nice (just a perference of mine). I definitely agree with the first comment from Mark, with the red/green contrast, it works well with the subject. #3..........looks excellent to me.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    The first one is outstanding. I too agree that the necklace should have been taken off.

Other than that...great job.

5. nice work
    #1 is my favorite as well

love mark's comments about the guy in #3... very funny

you did a great job
    i appreciate you sharing these with us

6. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    #1 is my favorite also. The third one looks like one of the instant effects from photoshop.

7. love the first though i wish her chin was up just a tad more. also the colors are amazing but if you wanted to take it to the next level, maybe take some of the redness out of her face to make her skin look more pale and her hair more red? the second could go for me it's too flat, I think the third is a *tad* overdone with the effect but I like the attempt, and the last one is so-so as it is. I think I would rather see more light on his face instead of hand/head OR a more dramatic effect if his face is going to be more shadowed! :) 

8. #3 is a fave. There's so much character with the composition. Reminds me a high school math teacher.

9. Larkin

Larkin

Feb 20, 2008
    N.E. Ohio
    #1 is absolutely stunning. I like the necklace myself. The lighting on this is spot on. Fantastic work. Truly.

10. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Really nice work. Paul is my favorite but they're all first rate.

11. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    #1 is my favorite, but I love the one of Paul as well. Nice shots.

12. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    #1 is right on. I prefer A necklace, but maybe not that one.

13. It took me a few moments to realise you were pulling my leg - LOL. Thanks for the comments.

14. Hmm, I'd like to see that button - ;-)

I appreciate its far from standard processing, I had an idea in my head to try to kind of emulate the lucis art style, its still a bit off, but I'm still working on it. Unfortuantely I can't afford the plugin.

Thanks for your comments

15. Great advice Laura, I'll take a close look at all of that, much appreciated.

16. I'd like to say a huge thanks to everyone else who took the time to comment also. Quite amazed at the stark differences in opinion, but your words are very encouraging, thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.