Some summer flowers

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry S., Aug 1, 2005.

1. Now that I'm almost finished with my musical project, I have time again to process some pics made earlier this month.
    If someone could help me with an English common name of this flower (Cichorium intybus). Shot with 85/1.4+500D. The hoverfly (Scaeva pyrastri) on the second one was a nice add-on.

Finally, what would a summer be without sun flowers. The file is a bit large because there is so much detail in it. Sorry if it loads a bit slowly.
  2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

It's called "Chickory".
  3. Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Wow, I wasn't expecting such detail in that 3rd picture. When I got to it, I was blown away. Thanks for making my day.
  4. Wow!!! That 2nd shot is fantastic!! Gale let me borrow her 500D...may have to try it with my 85! :) That's just incredible. And the sunflower shot! Holy smokes!! :shock:
  5. Thanks Bjorn! Who would have thought that I would reanimate the retired botanist in you :lol:
  6. Thanks Leigh!
    It was a pity that couldn't get the sunflower field from the front view of the flowers. Actually I was just too lazy to walk to the other end of this large field.
  7. Thanks Kevin!
    The 85/1.4 and the 500D are a perfect combo. It is such a pleasure to make use of the extreme sharpness of this lens in close-ups.
  8. Flew

Jan 25, 2005

Please don't post any more of these until Bjorn sells his 85PC. :twisted:

You are making it hard to resist. :roll:

Great shots!!
  9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

"Sell his 85PC" - never will happen. For the time being, I can't even locate the damned thing :D
  10. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Oops, sorry Bjorn. I meant Regit. :oops:

OTOH, it was your comments that have made me lust for that thing. :twisted:
  11. PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Like everyone else I'm impressed with the last shot. However the second one with the hoverfly is a great shot too.

Thanks for sharing.
  12. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All wonderful Images Harry.

Yes second with that bug...errr mean Hoverfly :>)) is great. Ya know I love that field sunflowers.

Isn't there a famous picture like that. The Sunflower Field.......
  13. Very nice Harry and like Leigh said, wow on the 3rd one. You really captured the hoverfly well on #2.
  14. Thanks all! I really don't know why I don't shoot flowers more often - it's so rewarding.
  15. Frank, I have never posted any pics shot with 85 PC. However, this lens is on top of my wish list. That is why I already sent a message to Regit. About a month ago I had an assignment for product shots and I was sorely craving this lens (I shot with the 60 Micro instead).

Interesting - the 85PC also has a 77mm thread. I wonder what it is able to do in combination with the 500D :roll:

16. I like them all, #2,#3 and #1. The #3 shot should be very heavy in Megapixels with all the details.

Harry if you want a picture taken with the PC85/500D, I can take one and post it.

I think Bjorn has too many lenses, if he can't find his PC85, the only lens that would be easy to find would be the 2000 mirror lens made a couple of years ago by Nikon, that was a monster of a lens.
  17. Thanks Gilles!

That would be nice to see some samples of the 85PC + 500D. I think Michael Weber ( used it once for some macros.

I can well imagine that Bjorn looses control over what he has. According to his words he even replaced his 45P because he mislaid it :lol:
    I have some 20 lenses (onyl :lol: ) and sometimes have troubles to find the one or the other because I can't remember which one I have at home and which one I left at my institute.

BTW - the sunflower shot is not much larger than the others (megapixel-wise) but due to the many different details the jpg compression is not as efficient as in the other ones). All my pics are shot with a D1X.