Some test shots before the shoot...

I was asked to shoot some portraits for a Board of Education candidate. So I ordered a couple more Botero collapsible backgrounds. I really like these, they are really light, easy to set up and look great.

These are just two test shots with my wife Theresa, who was not really prepared for photos today. Just some minor retouching on these.

Nikon D700/70-200mm
ISO 200
f/8
1/125sec (usually shoot 1/160sec)
Custom WB with Color Checker

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. The Set-up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very nice Miguel, you did a great job on the glasses with no glare
Thank you Mark. I usually tell her to take them off, but being that these were "test shots" I didn't give it much thought. Then when I saw how nice the dark BG looked, I asked her to take them off.

Love to see these types of posts... Portraits along with a "behind the scenes" set up shot included. Very nicely done and a clean well-organized work space. My in home "studio" space is rather small too so I sympathize with you on that!

Am I correct that it looks like you went without the fill light (Photogenic PL at the rear of the room) on shot #2? Looks good either way, but I applaud the choice if you did. Makes for a somewhat more pleasing lighting "ratio" (shadow to highlight) on your subject's face. Probably due to the fact that your studio with its white walls work to create it's own fill light off the main.

Love to see these types of posts... Portraits along with a "behind the scenes" set up shot included. Very nicely done and a clean well-organized work space. My in home "studio" space is rather small too so I sympathize with you on that!

Am I correct that it looks like you went without the fill light (Photogenic PL at the rear of the room) on shot #2? Looks good either way, but I applaud the choice if you did. Makes for a somewhat more pleasing lighting "ratio" (shadow to highlight) on your subject's face. Probably due to the fact that your studio with its white walls work to create it's own fill light off the main.
This is actually the master bedroom. I'm renovating the house and the 1st floor is empty and being that the AC was still in the room I set up here. I was originally going to go to the client for the shoot. I would gone with a smaller setup if I had gone to her.

You are correct. I killed the fill light for #2. I liked the deeper shadows and I liked it with the dark background. I've notice when I shoot in small rooms like this in my house the walls do contribute a little light to the shot and I can get away with one light. Especially when I use a bigger modifier.

Thanks for your comments!

PS excuse any typos. Replied from my iPhone. LOL...

I was asked to shoot some portraits for a Board of Education candidate. So I ordered a couple more Botero collapsible backgrounds. I really like these, they are really light, easy to set up and look great.
Very cool backdrops... much esier to set up than my background stand. But how hard are they to fold and tuck into their travel bags?

Very cool backdrops... much esier to set up than my background stand. But how hard are they to fold and tuck into their travel bags?
They are actually quite easy to fold up. You grab the top and bottom and twist, then fold the loops together. Very manageable for one person and they are lightweight, at least compared to my Wescott collapsible.

And they are affordable.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom