Some thoughts after 1 year with DSLR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luckynp, Jul 6, 2005.

1. It's almost exactly one year to the day since I acquired my D70. I'd dabbled in digital before with a good Minolta P&S and in film for a number of years.

I've been reflecting about the past year's experiences.

I thought I was being extravagent in July 2004 spending £1000 on the camera and kit lens. Since then I've spent at least 4 times as much on lenses and other bits and pieces. And I'm quite sure I'm not finished yet.

I've taken around 10000 pictures - not as much as some, I know, but probably exceeds my lifetime's shooting before then.

I was a slow learner with film. I knew the basic theory but often did not apply it in the heat of the moment. And by the time I got my work processed I'd pretty much forgotten what I did when taking the shots. With the D70 I'm beginning to be able to control what I do and successfully achieve what I set out to do. I've learned really quickly and I've learned enough to realise how much more there is to learn.

I've done a lot of things I've never done before in a search for photo opportunities. I've been horse racing and bird watching. I've run around the neighborhood chasing a couple of low flying hot air balloons. I've travelled to Prague, Venice, Paris and Rome (specifically to take photographs although my wife doesn't think so). I've taken the Nikon course on the D70. I've produced an album of photographs for a friend's 75th birthday. I've spent a day in a primary school taking photos for the school brochure. I've been asked to do photography of all events at my wife's school from now on after photographing the Christmas Fair, school plays, sports events etc. I must add that the request was made after they spent quite a lot of money on a pro who was incredibly bad tempered, upset all the students and delivered photos they say are nowhere near as good as mine (immodest, I know, but I'm quite proud of myself)..

I've acquired a really bad case of lens lust disease.

I've had a great time and I can't wait to see what the next 12 months will bring.

2. One point I'd disagree on.....

Your lens lust isn't a disease.
    It is a disease if owning lenses is the goal. If the endpoint is owning lenses to shoot pictures that is no affliction...heck...in your case shooting is transforming from a hobby to an passionate avocation.
    Hardly a disease!
    From your pbase shots I'd agree that the slow learning curve is a thing of the past too. Nice work.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice gallery. Work well done and glad you are having a great time. Hope you have many more great opportunities.

Good job.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

Great narrative. I think that your experience has been mirrored by many here and around the world since the latest crop of excellent, affordable digital SLR cameras have become available over the last couple of years. It is nice though to get the perspective of one happy, passionate photographer. This is such a great hobby. :wink:

Thanks for posting.

5. Thanks for all your kind remarks. And you're right, it has become a passionate avocation. I have a history of seizing on a new hobby for a few months and then moving on to the next thing. But not this time, I think.