Some Wedding Pics...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Jul 20, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I wasn't the primary photographer at this wedding, but the bride asked me to take some photos for her. I told her that since there was already a hired photographer, and an overly ambitious amature/releative (that was stepping in front of the pro and such), that I wouldn't take too many shots.

Well anyways, here's a few:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sooooooo...... Honestly, whaddya think? Sorry no formals, they didn't do a formal session.

2. Gregory I think these are great shots! She should be very pleased with these. I personally like the shots with the bride in her red outfit. She looks stunning and the outfit is so elaborate. It must've been quite the sight! :)

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks. It's an asian custom to go through at least three different outfits during the course of the wedding. I'm kinda used to asian weddings, and took it for granted 'till you mentioned it.

Do they look okay though. I'm thinking maybe a couple of them look too contrasty, and maybe a couple look a bit flat. Also how are the colors? I have a really tough time with colors, and getting proper white balance has been a real bear for me with wedding shoots (never have time to shoot a GM chart, and the light is constantly changing).

I never really woried about that when I shot film cuz my custom pro lab always made sure everything came out perfect.

4. Great shots! Like always, I like how nice and crisp your shots look since I'm a sharpness freak. :)

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gregory,

I can't find any significant issues with any of the shots. If you are looking for a minor nit, I'd like to see them a little less sharp. I'd do people shots like this with a touch of dreamy softness.

Overall though, they are excellent.

6. Gregory,

I am sure that the couple will be overjoyed with the photos, especially as you were not the official photographer.

I agree with Frank, other than for the first and maybe the sixth, they are a tad oversharpened for my taste.

The last two could have have done with a little (or a little more?) fill flash to reduce the contrast.

It looks to me as though you nailed the WB pretty well.

I only wish the photographs of my wedding had turned out as well as these!

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You did a great job shooting the wedding images. I have never shot wedding images with digital...very tough dealing with all of the white fabric. The shots are well composed and captured a very special day.

8. Przemek

Przemek Guest

Great job. Composition, color, contrast, bokeh are all pleasing. I wish I could shoot photos like that.

What lens did you use, one of the DC lenses perhaps?

Kind Regards,
    Przemek

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks! Ya know I'm a sharpness freak too. I think I prolly went a bit overboard this time around. I'm going to redo them with a bit less sharpening.

Thanks! Actually, I was thinking the same thing after I posted them. Especially after viewing the post on an LCD screen - they look waaaay oversharpened. I think I'm running my CRT at too high a resolution, so I can't see many of the artifacts. I'll back down on the sharpening and see if I can't get it sharp without the artifacts.

Thanks for your "nitpick," though it wasn't actually a nitpick. I agree wholeheartedly with your comment.

Thanks. I haven't given the pics to my friend yet, so I don't know how they'll react. Eager to see though.

I try to keep the fill flash from being too obvious by cutting the power quite a bit, but yes I think you're right. I should have used a bit more fill, as it was a harshly sunny day. I'm thinking that shot overall is too contrasty though. I'll rework it to reduce the contrast a bit. Hope it doesn't look washed out.

Well, from my two digital wedding shoots, I can tell you that it's a lot more challenging with digital than it is with film. And, the downside is that it's not anymore reassuring than shooting film. In fact, I think it's quite the cotrary. I used to be nervous till I got the prints back from my pro lab when shooting film, but with digital, I'm nervous through the entire shoot, trying to nail exposure and wondering if it's okay until I'm actually able to process the pics on the computer.

I need to develop a workflow that allows me to quickly view images and choose keepers. I think using ACR's auto everything and mabye making a jpeg sized to fit my proofing system's monitor that I can get a quick and dirty thing going.

Really? You think they're that good? I'm sure you're being too modest and your photos are probably quite good.

As far as the lenses, I shot with primarily:
    28-70 f/2,8
    28-85 f/3.5-4.5
    50 f/1,4
    60 f/2,8 macro

I don't have any DC lenses, but I've always been very interested in them. But from what I've seen the defocusing effect is somewhat marginal.

One thing I like about my SLR/n is the fact that I have more control over DOF than with Nikon digitals - I didn't use it in this shoot though.

10. Great job. You could do this for money.

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Okie, I updated the pics... How do they look now - I sharpened the ones with my daughter less.

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I'm thinking they maybe look a bit soft now? Ugh... Where's that happy medain?