Some wildlife..

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Vinod Menon, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Just a few shots of wildlife around the Yellowstone and Glacier National Park area. These are the last few pictures of my trip...I promise! :D

Bison
    [​IMG]

Mule Deer and Fawn
    [​IMG]

Mountain Goat
    [​IMG]

Marmot
    [​IMG]

Mountain goat and kid
    [​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, Vinod, these are all wonderful captures. There is no way to chose the one I like the most because they are all so great. I really like the composition in the Bison image and the detail in the Marmot image. You have a wonderful eye for photography my friend.

3. These are all excellent, and I appreciate your showing the EXIF data for most.

I see you got the bison (my favorite shot) with the "kit" lens at 46mm. You must have been pretty close! Be careful!

4. Excellent shots, I really like the shot of the buffalo

5. Thanks Frank, Pa and Mike. I took the bison shot while I was stuck behind about 20 cars, waiting for a herd of bison to cross the road. I just told my wife to roll down the passenger side window and took the shot. :D

6. Those are simply fabulous! The bison one could almost be a painting, it's so perfect. I love the colors of them all, but especially the mountain goat and marmot shots...I think the presence of the flowers makes the whole photo pop in those cases. And the mountain goat and kid photo is so precious. Thanks very much for sharing those!

7. Vinod, these are just about as nice as your landscapes! And to think some of them are "car shots"!! :shock: They look like they were meticulously set up. Nice job!!

8. The bison is exceptionally composed all are great, thanks for sharing them

9. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Great pictures.

The exposure and the DOF really make the subject pop out. I really like it.

Thanks for sharing.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    More excellent images from your trip Vinod. You must have been in heaven. :wink:

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Very nice series of something I don't get to see often. One day I'm gonna be out there !! :)

12. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Nice images and feel free to keep on posting them. :D

13. Great series Vinod. Thanks for sharing them.

14. Really nice shots, Vinod...!!

15. Vinod.

Great pics and I am sure a fun time to go there. I like the Marmot shot and the flowers add a nice splash of color to the pic.

I am planning a trip to Yellowstone for hopefully next year.

I posted this question in General Section:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=8682

I did not know if it was rude to ask here too. But since, I know you have been there maybe you can give me some pointers. Where to stay, best places for wildlife scenery, best time of year etc.... What lenses did you use the most?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. Vinod,

Very good pictures. I like the Bison too. The Mountain Goats are good. I have gone hunting Mountain Goats several times and all I end up with is long distance herd shot.

BTW, the picture you titled Mule Deer and Fawn, actually looks more like a Cow Elk and Calf.

Anyway, great job!

Ray

17. Thank you all very much for taking the time to comment. :)
    I wish I could have spent more time there, if you ever visit that area, make sure you have your camera ready to shoot at any time. I missed a couple of interesting shots because my camera bag was in my trunk and I couldn't get down from the car. :roll:

18. Hi Mark,
    Believe it or not, I was in Yellowstone for half a day, I drove around the south loop where most of the interesting geysers are. You will see bison all over, especially in the area between Norris and Mammoth(going north). If you get a chance try driving on the Beartooth Highway, part of the highway is closed because of landslides earlier in the year, but you can still drive a 30 mile stretch which is beautiful.
    You can also try this for some good tips on Yellowstone, I found the one they had for Glacier pretty useful.

http://www.phototravel.com/yellow.htm
    Sorry if I wasn't too much help :oops:
    -Vinod

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. Hi Ray,
    Thanks. You are probably right about the cow elk...I relied on my 7 year old son for the identification, he had a cheat sheet they handed out at the Park, but they were drawings, so I couldn't tell clearly. I guess Mule Deer have slightly longer ears?

-Vinod

20. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice series, Vinod! Great color and composition.