1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some XC

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Otter, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Here are few from the first two XC meets of the season.
    Not sure what I am doing wrong now. Things seemed to work better for me last year.
    I can't seem to get exposures, WB, focus or anything all of a sudden.
    I'll get things sorted out probably by the last meet... :smile:

Feel free to rip these apart. That is why I am sharing them.

Image00001.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Image00012.png

Image00041.jpg

Image00025.jpg

View attachment 246969

On these I was using the AF-ON technique. I've been using that at soccer too the last few outings.
    I have decided, since I get so many shots OOF now, AF-ON is not for me.

These are from this past Saturday. I had a bad time with the sun. It was at a horrible angle and seemed
    to always be in a bad place - behind the runner.
    I was/am having a hard time with WB and exposure too. I forgot my Whi-Bal card in the car - it sometimes helps.

Seems I can't come to terms with my camera this fall.

_DSC0025_000.jpg

View attachment 246971
    _DSC0158_007.jpg

_DSC0222_012.jpg

_DSC0231_014.jpg

Thanks for looking and commenting.

2. I think your ideas are good, especially the low angle perspectives (No. 6 my fav). That very harsh light is tough to deal with, what about strobing the runners? Just remember early season mistakes become late season victories.

3. Joe these don't look too bad. I would have liked to have seen #1 with a crop, also a little bit bigger. Hope to be shooting some XC this fall, I know I will probably get 1 or 2 assignments for it.

4. hey Joe, some of these are pretty good, IMHO. Given the bright sun, it's a pretty broad dynamic range.

Any chance you can post 'em w/ EXIF data intact? If you're using PS, use File | Save As, instead of "Save for Web" (this strips out the EXIF). I usually pick a file size of 7 or so which ranges from 150k to 200k...

5. Thanks all.

Brooks, I didn't think flash. I should have (kicking self). I bought an SB-800 a year ago and didn't think of using it. Of course the runners usually only go by once unless you are at a course where they pass more than once. Doesn't seem to be the norm though. The other problem is not knowing the course. This was a new course (to me) and it wasn't clear to me where they would be going. This course had a brutal climb. I ran (uhg) up the hill to catch them coming up. They all came up at once (they were still bunched up) and I thought this would be great. However, the sun was at their backs and none of them came out. :frown: Flash would have helped I'm sure.

Shooting XC is not easy, well maybe it is for some of you that can get good exposures from experience alone. For the most part, the runners pass you once. You have only one chance to get the shot. Unlike soccer for example where you can take shots and check exposures and adjust as needed.

As far as flash goes, I just ordered an SC-28 and will be making a version of the "Frank rig" this week. Mine won't have a 300 2.8 sitting on top though...

Chris, I use NX 1.3. Actually on these I PP'd using the trial version of NX2. I might buy the upgrade. It seems quicker and more stable than 1.3. I don't know why the EXIF is gone. I try to keep it there. I like looking at others EXIF so I try to keep mine there.

Live and learn...

Thanks.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Joe!!!!! Come on over buddy, let me give you a hug!!!!! These images aren't bad in my honest opinion. I think the first may have a bit too much foreground, but I like the concept. The rest look good, but not sure who you were focusing on in #6. Not much in the way of nits from me, I think you had a successful shoot.

7. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Joe as others have said these are not bad
    I even like the perspective of #1 with the lead runners trailed by the pack9post a larger version cause I think it,s a winner Tight is not always right sometimes the whole picture tells the story, I think that so true in XC
    Thanks for sharing these

8. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Joe, I'll add my two cents too. These are ok. Don't beat yourself up over them. Very tough light in this case. This is where shooting RAW would help in PP. My soccer shots from today are far more in need of TLC than your pics are, buddy!
    :biggrin:

9. LOL! Thanks Frank.
    Thanks for the comments guys.

10. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Joe , there not bad .
    I would assume thats a hard sport to make look really dynamic .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.