Some youth football from last night

I captured a few images from last night's game and was fortunate to be in the right place for a couple of touchdown runs. I also tried my hand at the Z7ii for some of these.

1- Quarterback broke the tackle for a touchdown
2021-04-25 pioneers-12.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- A sign of the COVID times...
2021-04-25 pioneers-17.jpg

2021-04-25 pioneers-4.jpg

4- Running back covers 80 yards on this touchdown
2021-04-25 pioneers-26.jpg

2021-04-25 pioneers-9.jpg

2021-04-25 pioneers-55.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Some great captures Glenn.
I see the players wearing masks under their helmets! is that a conditional rule to play?

Here, that seems to vary by sport and ref. But masks seems to be the general rule.
  • However, in football many/most don't wear masks, when they have their helmet on. On the bench without helmet, they are masked.
  • Girls lacrosse, they all wear masks.
  • Girls and boys soccer, they wear masks. I heard the ref call out a player to pull up his mask.
  • Softball, they wear masks.
  • Badminton (indoors), they all wear masks.
  • Tennis, all wear masks, but some will pull the mask down when they are playing. But tennis is outdoors and does not have the close contact of the field sports, so it makes sense that some don't wear masks.

• This week I get to see if volleyball has to wear masks. I have a feeling they and the other gym sports do.

Last edited:
Great work, I really like #4 and #6. For #4 I would crop a little to remove the bit of arm poking into the shot on the right side, and bring the left in a little closer to that defender giving chase, that way you will also cut out a few of the cars in the background.

Great work, I really like #4 and #6. For #4 I would crop a little to remove the bit of arm poking into the shot on the right side, and bring the left in a little closer to that defender giving chase, that way you will also cut out a few of the cars in the background.
Thanks Todd...it's funny that you mention that about #4. I was going to clone that arm out from the right side, but ended up processing the game photos very quickly through Lightroom. I think the edits strengthen the image:

2021-04-25 pioneers-26.jpg

Glenn

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Great action photos, but my favorite is the sinister masked and hooded executioner, ready to exact retribution for infringement of the rules by the gallows or the axe or maybe the rack.

Last edited:
Great stuff again, Glenn! How'd the Z7ii handle it, and what's it like shooting sports with EVF lag/blackout?
Thank you...honestly, I think it's too early for me to make an assessment of how the Z7ii handles sports. I used it for just a few exposures--and I'm just learning the autofocus modes that the camera offers. For these shots, the camera seemed to track the subject well and I didn't really notice an issue with the blackout.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom