some Z6 observations

Real Name
Randy
high ISO is a big pleasant surprise, the image below is 4k with no NR SW applied.
Sharpness from the 500pf looks better than from any other body, not counting huge crops (where the D850 is the obvious winner).
AF accuracy is astounding. The 2nd image I focused on the birds eye and even with all the clutter it nailed it.
Using silent today and it's amazingly deceptive. The birds were happy yesterday with the normal z6 shutter, today they don't even know.
Shooting a burst on silent at 1/250 delivered a surprising number of sharp in focus shots anf the blackout didn't bother me.
What is the fps using silent ?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
14-bit NEF, Continuous Low and High: 4 fps
12-bit NEF, Continuous Low and High: 4.5 fps
14-bit NEF, Continuous High (extended): 8 fps
12-bit NEF, Continuous High (extended): 12 fps

(Somewhat slower on the Z7)
thanks
that explains why I thought it was fast because it was

Real Name
Randy
Such great results after less than a day. You must know what you're doing (y)

Edit: Btw did you ever check the shutter count?
this is way easier than my d5 or d850
Nice shots. Good to see you are out photographing.

--Ken
thanks Ken, this is my backyard bird studio
First of all, fabulous shots.
Second of all, I WANT THAT 500!
Lastly, I believe we've made another Z convert.

Have you updated to firmware 3.0 yet?
thanks.
the 500pf is an amazing lens. my 500/4 just sits in the cabinet

the Z6 is a fine camera, wish I hadn't tried that Z50, it just slowed me down for mirrorless, the z6 in silent mode is a killer combo for wildlife, anywhere. If I'm sitting in the ocean in the dark waiting for Ft Desoto's Big Red bird the Z6 is now my 1st choice
I upgraded FW this morning

Real Name
Randy
Are you still shooting in group focus for these birds ?
I started in single yesterday but today has been all group. Group on the z6 seems to hit the eye a lot more than group on the d850 or D5 so I'm wondering if the camera sees the birds eye. Is eye AF on by default.

I started in single yesterday but today has been all group. Group on the z6 seems to hit the eye a lot more than group on the d850 or D5 so I'm wondering if the camera sees the birds eye. Is eye AF on by default.
Menu item a4: face and eye detection on my camera is on by default I believe- it doesn't give you an option to turn it off in a4; the firmware upgrade should include animal eye detection in a4 as well. Works on some pets, not sure whether it works on birds.

Real Name
Randy
Menu item a4: face and eye detection on my camera is on by default I believe- it doesn't give you an option to turn it off in a4; the firmware upgrade should include animal eye detection in a4 as well. Works on some pets, not sure whether it works on birds.
thanks, I'll have to check it out

Real Name
Randy
so it was ON and I clicked OFF to see what happens and it turned all of them OFF and now I can't turn them back ON, help please

Real Name
Randy
so it was ON and I clicked OFF to see what happens and it turned all of them OFF and now I can't turn them back ON, help please
now I'm not sure what happens when you click on OFF or even what does off off even mean.
In any event it doesn't matter because it only works in Auto AF.

1. Set the AF-area mode to Auto-area AF via the ‘i’ menu.
  2. Through the EVF (or on the LCD screen) in Auto-area AF you’ll see the red corner markings identifying it’s in auto-area AF.
  3. As soon as the camera detects a face, this switches to a large yellow autofocus box that starts tracking the subject.
  4. Now with the firmware updated, when the camera detects an eye the autofocus box switches to a smaller yellow box and tracks the eye
  5. Nikon’s eye AF works in both AF-C (continuous focus) and AF-S (single focus) mode, so you chose the mode most suitable for your subject.AF-C is for moving portraits, like kids playing, while AF-S is for posed-portraits.

In AF-S mode, half-press the shutter button to focus the lens. Then, when the camera locks on, the autofocus box goes green and you can fire off a shot.

However, in AF-C mode the lens is constantly focusing, so there’s no focus confirmation and you can grab a shot at any time.

Taken from an online source

now I'm not sure what happens when you click on OFF or even what does off off even mean.
In any event it doesn't matter because it only works in Auto AF.
The OFF is really useless. in order to enable animal detection you scroll down to it; click ok and then in your menu you see the icon of the cat like creature. In order to enable to non pet auto face and eye you just click on it.. the "OFF Off" is confusing!!!

Tree rat for Randy. This guy is smart. He defeated my slinky squirrel proof barricade. (serious crop)

Real Name
Randy
Tree rat for Randy. This guy is smart. He defeated my slinky squirrel proof barricade. (serious crop)

View attachment 1662666

D05_7341.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom