Somebody had to do squirrels..(D200)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jczinn, Dec 26, 2005.

1. There just don't seem to be many birds available for testing purposes! I soo envy you Florida folks--in winter :tongue: Anyway, mostly what I found in the park were squirrels. Seems like the D200 and the 80-400VR is plenty capable of sharp photos handheld. This squirrel could be processed sharper but then he'd look more like a porcupine :wink: I printed these and the detail is pretty awesome IMHO.

All handheld with 80-400VR

ISO 400, 1/60, F7.1, SB800
    [​IMG]

ISO 400, 1/160, F6.3, no flash
    [​IMG]

Here's a Song Swamp Sparrow, just about the only cooperative bird I could find!
    ISO 200, 1/320, F6.3
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Hi Janet . . . . nice shots :smile:

Are you sure that is a Song Sparrow? Looks like a Swamp Sparrow to me, but perhaps the Song Sparrows in the east are somewhat different than here out west.

Great job!

Cheers
    Tim

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very cute little tree rats Janet. I love watching these guys as they use every trick in the book to raid our bird feeders. I'd say that this is definitely a winning combo. :smile:

5. Tim, now that you mention it....I think you are right. It doesn't seem boldly enough streaked to be a Song--its just that I usually think of Swamp as being much greyer around the face. And, the central spot threw me off--but, Sibley does show Swamp with a blurry central breast spot. Jeez if I stare at it long enough I can make it into a Lincoln's--lol I hate sparrows!

6. Janet,
    The detail on the squirrels is superb! handheld?? way to go. I know you are one of the most respected birders on the forum, but like tim I question this sparrow. This is (I think) a song sparrow
    [​IMG]
    The one you posted may be a swamp or chipping. What do you think?
    no disrespect is intended here.
    Dave

7. Hey Janet

Keep "stooping" to shooting squirrels - love'm as we do not have many here on the island.

What do you think of the D200, now that you have had a chance to use it for a while?

8. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Janet, it looks like the birdies are going to be in for some serious shutter work with that combination. The squirrels (are you sure those are not porcupines?) are great. I don't get to see grays much anymore, as the fox squirrels have run off our population of grays.

9. Congrats on the new camera and these shots would do Yves proud

10. Yeah yeah yeah Dave :smile: I stand humbley corrected! The consensus is Swamp. :Ouch:

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Janet.

Love squirrels as well....

12. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Great squirrel shots, and thanks for posting what a Swamp sparrow should look like.

13. Hi Janet, and Merry Xmas to you and yours.................Man, I think you beat Yves to it with the new D200. I see that cam is treating you very well. How has the upgrade been from your D100 ? Luv #2 shot, beautifully done, awesome job