Someone emailed me this TACKY PHOTO! (Very poor taste!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Jones is right on the money.

Let me put another spin on this. I don't find it funny as this is a symbol of what is happening to more and more of the high tech labor in the computer software industry.

I own a small photogrammetry company That is now competing with a very large and growing overseas labor market set up by United States Companies. These companies create 100's of jobs overseas in just my industry. I can only assume that the total market is in the hundreds of thousands.

Those of you whose jobs can not be sent overseas, site construction, police, fire, etc may not have a true appreciation for what is happening.

I can barely pay my employees insurance for the labor rate of what some of these companies are offering. If you think about it, more and more of these technical positions are being transfered to overseas labor. Why? Not because they are better but because they are cheaper. Are these companies reducing the price to the US consumer? Nope! mmm. If I own the overseas company and I sub contract my local work to a company I own overseas for what ever I have in the job, then in the states I don't have a profit. ANd i'm not a US citizen so I can keep the money in an offshore account. mmm wonder what that does to the taxes I wouldn't have to pay.

Some would say I have a case of sour grapes. Yup, I guess I do. But I have resisted the many offers of these companies to subcontract/ broker jobs to them for the simple reason I feel it is wrong. My Partner and I built this company with the help of a dozen employees plus the hardware and knowledge of our local computer wizard (our very own Patrick, thank you very much) that for the most part have been with me for the past 5 years. And now I am going to call them in and tell them that they have been replaced by someone thousands of miles away? I think NOT.

It may get a bit rough and we may have to take a smaller margin and we may have to trim expenses and benefits but we will continue as we have been. Serving our local clients with local labor. On a positive note we are not just sitting by but are actively looking into areas of our business that can not be sent overseas.

In case you are wondering these companies send high resolution aerial photos (1 pixel = 1/2 ft) of entire cities and counties to companie overseas. In practical terms that's about 2-4 times better than what Google earth has in the Washington DC area. this is going to countries such as China, India and Checkoslovakia for the purpose of mapping our infrastructure. That includes, Roads, Transmission Lines, Power Plants and Dams, Nuke Plants and yes even Military installations and storage facilities.

Oh yeah, since there is no law against it....It's Legal!

Damn, I hate it when others do this and now I'm guilty. My apologies to all but I do feel a bit better.

R

Removed User 1

Reason For My Book

I was with Coca-Cola and have been laid off twice by Coke. Three mass layoffs in my IT career. After the last one I never recovered and gave up on climbing the corperate ladder since someone is doing their best in the background to replace you if you are in IT. I was at Coke in the Atlanta HQ when they cut 2500 people. It was shocking to watch since landing a job at Coke meant security. The last layoff really broke me.

I'm doing my novel right now. The naysayers love to tell me I have no chance so I am keeping the details on the book private but for a few people. Regardless I will have been doing something I wanted to do as opposed to the 12 hour days on salary with false promises that 'this will be remembered someday' and seeing the HR rep with a downcast face come looking for me.

If you think I cause problems on this fine board wait until you see a deliberate effort at doing so in the form of a book. It will be unlike any novel you have seen.

K

Ken-L

Lautermilch said:
If you think I cause problems on this fine board wait until you see a deliberate effort at doing so in the form of a book. It will be unlike any novel you have seen.
Greg said:
....I can barely pay my employees insurance for the labor rate of what some of these companies are offering......

I'll tell you what I think......

I think that I posted a "funny photo". If someone finds it amusing, fine; if someone else finds it not funny, fine.

What is most upsetting is that people feel they can take a funny picture and use it to vent their oversized spleens! They would use this photo for their political agendas, and as a soapbox to tell all of us their grievances, angers and predjudices.

Not long ago a cartoon was printed in some newspapers. Certain peoples used that...a funny cartoon, to kill, rape, burn and pillage!

It is even less "amusing" that some members have decided to use this funny photo to make their outrageous comments and statements in this thread.

I suggest that if you have an agenda and an uncontrollable need to spout off about it, you should start your own threads.....in another forum!

R

Removed User 1

Ken-L said:
I'll tell you what I think......

I think that I posted a "funny photo". If someone finds it amusing, fine; if someone else finds it not funny, fine.

What is most upsetting is that people feel they can take a funny picture and use it to vent their oversized spleens! They would use this photo for their political agendas, and as a soapbox to tell all of us their grievances, angers and predjudices.

Not long ago a cartoon was printed in some newspapers. Certain peoples used that...a funny cartoon, to kill, rape, burn and pillage!

It is even less "amusing" that some members have decided to use this funny photo to make their outrageous comments and statements in this thread.

I suggest that if you have an agenda and an uncontrollable need to spout off about it, you should start your own threads.....in another forum!

I have no idea why you quoted me. I was refering to my threads in PJ and my book - not this thread.

K

Ken-L

Lautermilch said:
I have no idea why you quoted me. I was refering to my threads in PJ and my book - not this thread.
It does not surprise me at all that you "wonder why"!

Pray tell us what your enlightening post had to do with this thread in the first place?

You posted in my thread......something that had nothing to do with my thread.....you used my thread as a platform for your "nonsense statements"....and you wonder why you were included in my remarks??????

R

Removed User 1

Ken-L said:
It does not surprise me at all that you "wonder why"!

Pray tell us what your enlightening post had to do with this thread in the first place?

You posted in my thread......something that had nothing to do with my thread.....you used my thread as a platform for your "nonsense statements"....and you wonder why you were included in my remarks??????

The thread is dealing with job loss. You were the one to post an offensive image that started all this so you have to take the blame. I won't lower myself to return petty insults.

One last thing - PLONK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom