Someone here told me

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bfjr, Aug 9, 2005.

1. bfjr

bfjr Guest

when I finally find one I'll see em everywhere, well he was referring to Osprey, but I'm seeing Raptors almost daily now. Does that count :)
    Same place I got the Kestrel yesterday

Say Hello to White Tailed Kite

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Ben. I've never seen this species. Where was this taken?

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Ben! I've also never seen this species. Interesting bird.

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Evening Frank, glad you like
    this one and the Kestrel were taken in an are running right along side LAX, here in California. Not really a friendly place with all the cops and security fences around. Just to give you an idea when I saw this bird I pulled over got out and started shooting, no sooner did two airport cops stop and ask me what I was doing :?: :?: said I couldn't park here cause of security fears, God I hate terrorists :x :x
    And of course the area is perfect for Raptors, open fields lined by tall trees and poles !!! :wink:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ben,

Yeah, it is a shame what we have come to, and I expect that it will never get better. It would be nice if we could put a sign in our vehicles that said 'Not a Terrorist', but that probably wouldn't work, huh??

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I really shouldn't complain, it's not like some who have lost loved ones or our young hero's in Iraq and Afghanistan, but it is affecting all of us to some degree. And your right it will never be the same!!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ben,

You are right that most of us have been lucky to this point, but I have one correction to what you said. We have young and old heroes serving 'over there'. :wink:

8. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Wowzers, looks like you were really close to that bird. I've tried sneaking up to these guys and being the skittish birds that they are, they naturally flew off.

9. Interesting bird, Ben. I can understand the security issues. That's why I'm so glad we have so many 'safe' areas around here to shoot. Nothing but water and trees, so no threat to anything human.

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Good Morning
    I've only seen one twice in my area. They are about the size of a Kestrel and actually have that same hover fluttering wing tactic while hunting. Stunning eyes I think against there white feathers !!

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Evening
    Yes they are skittish. I waited by his tree till he returned and a crop brought him in even a little closer. Saw him again today but no luck getting any keepers :cry:

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well I wish someone would tell the Raptors :lol: :lol:

13. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    cute little guy. good shots

14. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Haven't gotten any decent perching shots which are keepers. Going back into some pictures that I've gotten of this bird, this one is marginal. :(

DSC_3446.

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Thanks Greg

16. Hi Ben, that is a pretty bird and you have photographed it well.

17. bfjr

bfjr Guest

That's marginal :shock:
    I've been trying for two days to get a decent flight shot with no luck :cry:
    Yours looks great to me :wink:

18. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Thank you Gordon appreciate your comments always

19. Ben, if memory serves, that was Me who made the comment "you will start seeing them everywhere". And now I see your latest threads, 2 birds I haven't seen before, darnit, and all the years I lived in SoCal I never cared :!: :!: , what a fool I was. Right near LAX you say? I used to sit at the West end of the runway just over Dockweiler beach at night to watch the planes take off. Probably not a good thing to do anymore.

I used to work in a business park on the North side of the Santa Monica airport and my office window looked out over the runway. That is where President Reagan used to land when traveling in the state via Helicopter. One day we spun open the mini-blinds and in about 10 seconds there were 2 cars of very large fellows looking in our window. Another time one of my co-workers, who was a rock-climber, got chased off the building as he was climbing. Mind you this was back in the mid-80's, so what you see is really not all that new, it is just more obvious now.

Nice shots, keep it up, I got another Osprey today :wink:

20. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Yeah it was you thanks for the encouragement :)
    No can't go up the hill anymore and watch much of anything except the cops go by !!