someone stole my FB pw

Real Name
Ken
Unless FB alerts you to a sign-in and gives you an IP address and location, most likely not. The next thing that you need to do is change any passwords that use the same email address if you used the same password as FB.

So sorry,

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
A few more to consider:

Does FB allow you to view your past sign-ins?
Did you have any credit card data associated with the account?
Is there any other account or financial information in your FB account?

--Ken

Do you use the same PW on other sites? If so, better change them all. And to something different on each one.

I fell for a phish. I changed my PW as soon as I realized. Is there anyway to the log the thief ?
Remember to set multi factor authentication on your account. That means that if someone steals your password they still will not be able to login as they will need the randomly generated code from YOUR phone.

Real Name
Randy
Were you able to see anything useful?

--Ken
Yes, I saw 15 people (or bots) logged on w my credentials. This morning I got an email from FB telling me someone tried to logon w my ID but wrong password so I guess after I forced them off yesterday they tried again using my old password.

Real Name
Ken
Yes, I saw 15 people (or bots) logged on w my credentials. This morning I got an email from FB telling me someone tried to logon w my ID but wrong password so I guess after I forced them off yesterday they tried again using my old password.
Glad you (hopefully) acted quickly. If you took the advice above, you should be okay. But I would check that log data for some time. And did FB offer any additional suggestions to protect your account?

And if you are really concerned, place fraud alerts with the three credit bureaus. My identity was compromised in our state's unemployment scam last year and it was amazing how quickly they moved with the data they obtained. They attempted to open about a dozen accounts in one day. It was a hot mess to say the least and took me months to clean up, only to find that the data was stolen again from another state agency recently.

--Ken

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
Glad you (hopefully) acted quickly. If you took the advice above, you should be okay. But I would check that log data for some time. And did FB offer any additional suggestions to protect your account?

And if you are really concerned, place fraud alerts with the three credit bureaus. My identity was compromised in our state's unemployment scam last year and it was amazing how quickly they moved with the data they obtained. They attempted to open about a dozen accounts in one day. It was a hot mess to say the least and took me months to clean up, only to find that the data was stolen again from another state agency recently.

--Ken
I monitor money every day so I'll know, I changed every place I used the same PW as I did on FB. I got an email from FB this morning telling me there were failed login attempts last night so I know the hackers that got forced off tried logging in again with the stolen PW

If you have any accounts or services connected through Facebook i'd kick them off and re-authenticate. You can see that in the settings as well. Otherwise they may be able to access them assuming they were quick and set it all up in the time between logging in and you changing it.

Real Name
Ken
Sorry to hear this. BUT - so glad I never drank the FB/social media cool aid....................
I am not a fan of most social media, but I do wish there was a viable alternative to FB without all of the news, advertising and algorithms. In short, a a platform where you control what is seen in your account, not the host. I think this might get back to the essence of staying connected with family and friends without all of the "other". Than again I do not use any social media platforms so what do I know.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I am not a fan of most social media, but I do wish there was a viable alternative to FB without all of the news, advertising and algorithms. In short, a a platform where you control what is seen in your account, not the host. I think this might get back to the essence of staying connected with family and friends without all of the "other". Than again I do not use any social media platforms so what do I know.

--Ken
I use Facebook and never see any news or advertising and none of those sponsored scams. I also don't see those stupid messages telling me about someone it thinks I might know.
It takes just a few minutes, it costs nothing, here is the solution... https://www.fbpurity.com/

Real Name
Ken
I use Facebook and never see any news or advertising and none of those sponsored scams. I also don't see those stupid messages telling me about someone it thinks I might know.
It takes just a few minutes, it costs nothing, here is the solution... https://www.fbpurity.com/
I would give it a try, but do not use FB despite having an account for more years than I can count.

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom