1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Someone with D90 or D5000 please answer a question about video

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by needa916, Aug 5, 2009.

1. needa916

needa916

Mar 15, 2009
    So Cal
    I was wondering if you can shoot video in full manual mode on either of these cameras? All the videos I noticed had some kind of auto-exposure that was auto adjusting the exposure as the lighting changed.

Can you manually set the exposure, ISO before you record a clip?

2. alyssaf

alyssaf

Apr 8, 2008
    Georgia
    I have a D90. Maybe I'm doing something wrong (I haven't really looked into it), but when I have it on manual the video is just all white. I have to flip it to auto to do video.

3. you can use it A mode to adjust DOF on the fly

4. GH41

GH41

Nov 18, 2008
    HHI
    Are you sure Andrew?? You can change the app setting in live view while recording? I assume that is what you mean when you say "on the fly". GH

5. i think you can while recording..... i'll have to check when i get mine back...... i forget now

but i know A works well :redface:

6. needa916

needa916

Mar 15, 2009
    So Cal
    That is great to hear. I think the samples I've been seeing online were probably shot in some auto mode. I would love to have as much manual control as possible.

7. mandomichael

mandomichael

Feb 11, 2009
    california
    hold the exposure lock button to lock exposure before shooting video

8. e_No

e_No

May 16, 2009
    Downey, CA
    Yes, it auto-adjusts exposure, but you can override that default functionality by locking exposure. I recommend switching to AE-L on through your settings so that you can tap the AE-L/AF-L button once to lock exposure and not have to keep it pressed as you pan around a scene. I will tell you, though, that sometimes the scene does require that you allow the camera to adjust exposure as you move, or else something will be too dark or bright.

As for ISO, the exposure adjustment is through ISO when you are in manual mode. Something folks recommend to keep the ISO at the lowest possible setting is getting a cheap AI-S lens (fully manual, no meter) and opening it up to its widest practical setting for what you are shooting. Since you have to manual-focus anyway, that isn't such a big deal. And yes, the camera still can adjust exposure even with an AI-S, non-cpu lens. The other advantage of an AI-S lens is that you can stop it down past the D90's f/8 limit, i.e., f/11 or f/16 for landscapes in good lighting. Try it. It's a blast.

One other tip I just read is to keep the shutter speed at 1/50 sec. The idea is that since the camera is shooting at 24 fps, anything faster than 1/48 sec is overkill. I have to try this out to see how true it is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.