Something A Bit Different, PS ducks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Something a bit different,

As some of you may remember I like to do an occasional B&W conversions on some of my bird shots, and last weekend with the horrible grey skies and flat light I caught a few Buffle Head Ducks that needed some attention.

A whole lot of PS work on these shots, first tweak for best look in color, convert to BW, then several different filters applied to each shot, and with the second one a conversion to High Key look along with some "glow". On first image I went for a paint look.

Comments Welcomed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice...
    I have a shot similar to this. I really love the shot and just can't figure out what to do with it. It needs something and I have processed it a dozen times a dozen ways and haven't come up with a thing. Have put it in the trash and dug it back out :>))

Maybe a sepia would work..
    I like your treatment.
    It is getting there.

Not quite sure what it needs.

Something is missing.
    I may need to do a search on google for duck paintings.

I really love both those shots.

3. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks for the look Gale,

These shots were of the type that, while I just couldn't put my finger on it, I liked them for some reason, even with the horrible grey light light and just average sharpness or in the case of the second shot a bit fuzzy.

Normally these would go in the trash bin, but I think it is the composition and symmetry in the first image with their wings all the same, and the second with their refection in the water that stopped the trash can. I may tire of them after a while and they may end up there.

I tried all sorts of things, including color replacement on the water, masking everything and filtering everything, and this is just about the most pleasing to me.

I hadn't tried a sepia tone, generally I am not a personal fan of it, but I may give it a whirl.

Thanks again Gale,

Wade

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wade,
    Sometime we just have to put images like this away for a better day and vision :>))
    Don't "can" those you have. You can never take the same again.
    I have a folder of "what to do with" images lolol
    A new idea will come along. Like seeing yours here. I had not thought of that.

5. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    By the way Gale, don't know why, but i am getting a big smile out of your sig. Makes me festive.

Thanks

Wade

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Wade

Glad you feel festive and happy with the bells. Just seemed right at the time. :>)))