Something BIG is going to happen

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by italy74, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Within next PMA / WPPI.. this is what rangefinder magazine says at page 148, as spotted at Nikonrumors...

Remember... next year is 50th from Nikon F... It's several months I'm repeating that, we'll have for sure a hot end of the year..

http://www.nikonrumors.com/

2. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Ah, so the 24 Meg D3X is going to be announced then, not at this years Photokina.

3. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    is it gonna be a digital rangefinder?

4. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Money's on the digital rangefinder. Ad in Rangefinder magazine highlighted in Nikon Rumors.... more info since that report:

http://nikonrumors.com/

Fits with info out of Adorama and elsewhere - makes sense with anniversary celebration. May be a limited edition high $$$$$$$$ effort though.

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

:wink:

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Curious. Maybe a digital rangefinder which can accept current Nikon lenses, and a small selection of new lenses most of which is within the camera body to reduce size? Or maybe it just goes with the new primes rumoured to appear before the century is out.

7. dwind

dwind Guest

Why would I want to buy a range finder over a normal slr?

8. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

50mm AFS for their 50th year ?
    For those who want a rangefinder - why not get a P&S ?

9. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    I generally don't do rumors but with the cafe down I spent more time on DPreview then I have in a while. On there Thom Hogan speculated that one explanation for something big coupled with a few rumors floating around was a Medium format camera based on the D3 sensor. I don't have the link but it should be easy to find. In it though he stated it was just ONE possible explanation, not that he was saying that Nikon would do a MF camera.

10. Drilling down through Nikon Rumors's links to DP Reveiw, seems to me that you could come up with some reasons if the rangefinder were like the one described here! However, I don't know enough about high-end rangefinders to know what their niche is for skilled photographers. I do know that several (if not many) famous and skilled photographers have used rangefinders as their tool of choice.

11. For the same reasons (plus some more) why a lot of pros preferred the Leica M3's over the Nikon F series.
    A digital rangefinder with the D3 FX sensor would be a dream camera. Smaller, lighter, potentially faster and definitely more silent and stealthy. I'm no techie but I remember having read somewhere that there are some IQ advantages to be gained if the lens can be mounted closer to the sensor. With the recent advances in technology; live view, viewfinder framelines for paralax correction can be implemented ala D3 viewfinder crop modes.
    I'd love to have a digital Fx rangefinder. Hope these rumours are true.

12. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    I would trade all my Star Wars Cards for a Nikon digital rangefinder.

13. Something big more speculation

To add to the speculation:

A pro DSLR/Video camera in one body with 1980 resolution. That would be sweet.

A whole new sensor, that's bigger than the 35mm but smaller than medium format. Perhaps a square 42mm sensor that would suit the pros used to shooting square medium format.

A whole new system that will make all existing Nikon lenses and bodies obsolete within a yearl

Nikon is buying Canon.