Something completely different - with your ideas

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    My post yesterday elicited a ton of great responses, including several with suggestions regarding different processing ideas. Primarily these were related to using USM to enhance contrast, and reduce the hazy look of the original file.

So, based on suggestions by Iliah, Paul, Jim, and others, I have reprocessed the shot using various proposed settings. Here are the results. I would appreciate your thoughts on which is better.

The original post (processed with significant saturation increase):
    [​IMG]

Processed w/no additional USM or increased saturation:
    [​IMG]

With Paul's suggested 15, 60, 0:
    [​IMG]

Jim's suggested 12, 250, 1:
    [​IMG]

My experimental 22, 250, 0:
    [​IMG]

I personally think that the Jim's settings work the best, but IMO, all three look better than my original. What do you think?

2. making me dizzy trying to decide. I see no significant differences only very subtle. The 3rd one is the most pleasant in my opinion.
    Dave

3. OK let me say this I think it is good when we all venture outside of the box or our comfort zone.
    I like this a lot the beautiful soft colors the framing is great the log to the right draws one in and the white birds flying out draws the eye out of the frame. I like it as processed I think you did excellent here Frank.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

You are correct in that the differences are very subtle. I like the third one too, but I'm glad that, in my eyes at least, the original is very close to the results achieved using the alternate settings suggested in the original post.

Thanks for looking and commenting. :smile:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. This one is definitely out of my comfort zone. In fact, when I saw it last night, I was almost shocked. :rolleyes:

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Hope I don't offend anyone....but I like the original best.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not me. :biggrin:

Thanks Ken.

8. I like the image Frank and would probably choose #1 as my favorite.

9. I originally liked the original and still do. :wink:

10. I struggle to see much difference, very slight. Perhaps because they are reduced in size and quality to post on the web. Maybe you can see more of difference before processing for the web?

I like the original. Nice pic.

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Me too me too the original !!
    I like Coke too you know "The real thing" :biggrin:

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    My Take

I like #1 best as I truly like to soft, dreamy feel to the image. I didn't think it needed cropping, increased saturation or sharpening to begin with.

It's meant to be a soft, dreamy image.

Ok..I'm done being mushy now.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks again to everyone for your inputs. I actually like all of the versions (as was pointed out, the differences are very subtle). I think that what this has shown is that there's more than one way to get decent results.

Regards,

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Frank was kind enough to send the origional to play with. This was processed with Raw Magick Lite (beta) and LAB work done in PS.

[​IMG]

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Charles, that is impressive. I definitely need to investigate LAB more closely.

Thanks!!