Something completely different

Iliah said:
Dear Frank,
USM 30/20/0 or something like that, up to 50/35/0..2; have you tried that hit?

Iliah,

I learned that trick here at the Cafe, and use it from time to time, but not on this one. I actually backed way off on the USM, both in NC and PS CS on this shot. I wanted to maintain the 'soft' look. Since I have very little experience with this kind of shot, I'm not sure that my PP did it justice though.

BTW, did you get the .NEF I sent you?

Dear Frank,

Yes, I got the NEF. Tht combination of USM parameters enhances contrast, takes haze away, and does not sharpen the image.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. :smile:

Iliah said:
Dear Frank,

Yes, I got the NEF. That combination of USM parameters enhances contrast, takes haze away, and does not sharpen the image.

Iliah, I understand what it does (thanks to the folks here), and I do use it from time to time for just that purpose. I just didn't think of using that technique for this shot. As I said, I was pretty much at a loss as to the best method for processing this one. I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks,

Chris101 said:
Huh! How could you hate that?!?!? It's GREAT! It's got action, peace and great color.

I don't hate it, I like it. I just feel unqualified to process it properly. :rolleyes:

Rob

I would think of cropping the log from the right, oh maybe not?

Caught one Frank! Nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition. Especially the Spanish. (Grovels well under pressure)

By the way, nice shot Frank. :smile:

Also

I absolutely would not crop this image.

The branch coming off of the right side leads you in and the white birds lead you out.

All of the empty space is needed to make this image, otherwise your attention becomes directed to the white birds and not the overall scene.

Thanks very much to every one of you that made suggestions. I am going to read every one, and try out the different ideas and post the results. I kid you not when I say that I lack an artists eye. This will help me learn what looks good and what doesn't.

I'll be back. :smile:

Frank, I really like that shot. It's nice to see something like this that has more artistic merit (However, I have to qualify my comment - I'm an engineer too :smile: ). Like many of us here, I often can only get the documentary shot. But when the artistic shot is there, its nice to capture it and I think you did very well in this shot!

Nikam said:
Frank, I really like that shot. It's nice to see something like this that has more artistic merit (However, I have to qualify my comment - I'm an engineer too :smile: ). Like many of us here, I often can only get the documentary shot. But when the artistic shot is there, its nice to capture it and I think you did very well in this shot!

Dennis,

You hit the nail on the head. Documentary is what I would call my images. That is why getting a good shot of the bird's eye, and sharp feather and leg detail is so important to me. Several times recently though, folks here have commented positively about shots that I have posted that show more of the surrounding environment of the birds, so I'm going to try to include that in more of my posts.

We'll just have to see how they come out. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Latest threads

Top Bottom