1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

something different

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    As some of you may know, I also enjoy converting and shooting birds in B&W, particularly for wing positions and shapes, and effect.

I am particularly fond of groups of photos of a situation or scene that creates an artistic look to my eye, particularly the lines and shapes associated with the wildlife

here is my latest 4 shot group, I plan on framing these four shots into a large square 30" frame, 10" square photos, 4" white 8 ply mat all over with 2" in between each photo, on the top bottom and sides, 4" from the outside of the photos to the frame, black Nielsen frame,

Piece is titled the landing, and for me it is all about wing position and shape. High ISO shots with the D300, cloudy day, neutral background, so they were prime candidates for conversions.

for artistic shots like this I really like some wing blur, so I was happy with these shots and the neutral backgrounds and lighting.

in order from top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one, I am not sure If I ever posted this conversion, from last year, just love the lines and look to the image, converted image with some minor PS work, going for a surreal dream look, one of my favorite BW conversions of line and shape with birds, looks very nice on a large print from Mpix on their BW process prints, I haven't framed this one yet.

[​IMG]

thank for looking,

2. That's what I call art. B&W was always my favorite in school, back many years. The manipulation of the tones to highlight the lines in the feathers is just right. I love the way your focus is on the center of the birds body and the wings and feathers are so soft. good luck and keep them coming.

Laurie

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I love the sequence. the b+w conversion is very cool.

gregory

4. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks for your kind words Lauire, that was my goal, focus on center of body, with some nice wing spreads.

Thanks Greg, appreciate your thoughts.

5. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    The landing sequence is way cool! That bird looks so insanely focused.
    The other one is nice but a bit dreamy for my taste.
    B&W works for all.

6. Very nice indeed Wade, I like what's you done with these images. Good job.

7. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri

thanks Tor and Louis, appreciate your comments

8. Different in a good way. Nicely done.

9. I dig it. At MINWR visitor's center there a small collection of B&W's by Alan Cruickshank and I always have to stop and admire them. There's a soothing quality to images like that. I really like #2 and 3 of the Little Blue.

10. as Laurie said above....
    this is ART, Wade

very, very well done

11. Very nice set Wade. I like the conversion very much.

Now I'm inspired to try different conversions on some of my captures.

12. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thank you Warren

thanks Thomas, appreciate the words

Thanks so much Greg, you are to kind

It is fun, and for some an acquired taste, many don't like them, and stick their noses up in the air, but I and a few others like them.

Wade

13. Too many folks get hung up on pretty colors or literal content and think it's a good image. A quality image should hold up and present well in B&W. Solid composition and subject interest should hold up and grab one's attention even without pretty colors.

Nice series Wade. I like the approach. Would have liked a little more room on the crop on some . They feel a bit tight. Keep 'em coming in B&W

14. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I understand your point on the tightness, I was in a quandary about the crops. Since this is a 4 print on one frame set, if I cropped to give more space on the wing flap shots, to keep the same size square image meant that the wings tucked shots had way to much space around them.

I needed to keep the birds bodies the same size, and I decided on having the print size (in this case 10x10) close to the edge on the birds wings. Normally I would probably do as you noted, and give the bird more room.

to often we forget having room to fly in our images.

Thanks for the great comments Mike.

Wade

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.