something different

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
As some of you may know, I also enjoy converting and shooting birds in B&W, particularly for wing positions and shapes, and effect.

I am particularly fond of groups of photos of a situation or scene that creates an artistic look to my eye, particularly the lines and shapes associated with the wildlife

here is my latest 4 shot group, I plan on framing these four shots into a large square 30" frame, 10" square photos, 4" white 8 ply mat all over with 2" in between each photo, on the top bottom and sides, 4" from the outside of the photos to the frame, black Nielsen frame,

Piece is titled the landing, and for me it is all about wing position and shape. High ISO shots with the D300, cloudy day, neutral background, so they were prime candidates for conversions.

for artistic shots like this I really like some wing blur, so I was happy with these shots and the neutral backgrounds and lighting.

in order from top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right

080802Horseshoe21.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

080802Horseshoe22.JPG

080802Horseshoe23.JPG

080802Horseshoe24.JPG

And this one, I am not sure If I ever posted this conversion, from last year, just love the lines and look to the image, converted image with some minor PS work, going for a surreal dream look, one of my favorite BW conversions of line and shape with birds, looks very nice on a large print from Mpix on their BW process prints, I haven't framed this one yet.

_D2X3089.JPG

thank for looking,

That's what I call art. B&W was always my favorite in school, back many years. The manipulation of the tones to highlight the lines in the feathers is just right. I love the way your focus is on the center of the birds body and the wings and feathers are so soft. good luck and keep them coming.

Laurie

I love the sequence. the b+w conversion is very cool.

gregory

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
That's what I call art. B&W was always my favorite in school, back many years. The manipulation of the tones to highlight the lines in the feathers is just right. I love the way your focus is on the center of the birds body and the wings and feathers are so soft. good luck and keep them coming.

Laurie

thanks for your kind words Lauire, that was my goal, focus on center of body, with some nice wing spreads.

I love the sequence. the b+w conversion is very cool.

gregory

Thanks Greg, appreciate your thoughts.

The landing sequence is way cool! That bird looks so insanely focused.
The other one is nice but a bit dreamy for my taste.
B&W works for all.

I dig it. At MINWR visitor's center there a small collection of B&W's by Alan Cruickshank and I always have to stop and admire them. There's a soothing quality to images like that. I really like #2 and 3 of the Little Blue.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Different in a good way. Nicely done.

thank you Warren

I dig it. At MINWR visitor's center there a small collection of B&W's by Alan Cruickshank and I always have to stop and admire them. There's a soothing quality to images like that. I really like #2 and 3 of the Little Blue.

thanks Thomas, appreciate the words

as Laurie said above....
this is ART, Wade

very, very well done

Thanks so much Greg, you are to kind

Very nice set Wade. I like the conversion very much.

Now I'm inspired to try different conversions on some of my captures.

It is fun, and for some an acquired taste, many don't like them, and stick their noses up in the air, but I and a few others like them.

Wade

Too many folks get hung up on pretty colors or literal content and think it's a good image. A quality image should hold up and present well in B&W. Solid composition and subject interest should hold up and grab one's attention even without pretty colors.

Nice series Wade. I like the approach. Would have liked a little more room on the crop on some . They feel a bit tight. Keep 'em coming in B&W

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Too many folks get hung up on pretty colors or literal content and think it's a good image. A quality image should hold up and present well in B&W. Solid composition and subject interest should hold up and grab one's attention even without pretty colors.

Nice series Wade. I like the approach. Would have liked a little more room on the crop on some . They feel a bit tight. Keep 'em coming in B&W

I understand your point on the tightness, I was in a quandary about the crops. Since this is a 4 print on one frame set, if I cropped to give more space on the wing flap shots, to keep the same size square image meant that the wings tucked shots had way to much space around them.

I needed to keep the birds bodies the same size, and I decided on having the print size (in this case 10x10) close to the edge on the birds wings. Normally I would probably do as you noted, and give the bird more room.

to often we forget having room to fly in our images.

Thanks for the great comments Mike.

Wade

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom