Something differnet than LAX....

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, May 28, 2007.

1. After shooting countless LAX games this spring I had a chance to shoot two full days of baseball this Saturday and Sunday.
    I will split these shots into multiple shots.
    It was so nice to shoot something different but after 11 games on Bball in two days I am exhausted.
    All shots with the D2X and the 300 2.8
    First up some shots of the pitchers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    WOW, stunning. Love the second one the most!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The look on 6 is priceless.
    Don't mess with me....lolol

Great shots Mike

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wonderful stuff Mike, the fourth one really catches my eye. Nice to see you taking a break from LAX and returning to the boys of summer.

5. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Great shots Mike. They all have different facial expressions. Classic!

6. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Excellent work, Mike. can't wait to see more.

7. Wow Mike! Great stuff here. Looks like the D2x is definitely capable of producing awesome images (something I have yet to do with mine).

8. 5&6 are 10s

9. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

wow ..... i admire you for doing so much baseball .... i hated it ! lol

10. Mike, I always look forward to your work and that 2nd picture is classic.

11. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Man you have some great shots. How do you turn this stuff in on a constant basis?

#2 is positively perfect.

Did you shoot these through the fence?

12. Arif

Arif Guest

Great Shots Mike! All of these are perfect for Baseball Cards. Maybe they can even use these to get first dates ;)

Thanks for sharing and look forward to more,
    Arif
    www.aiqball.zenfolio.com

13. Randy posted an interesting article concerning SI work flow, but I'm more interested in Mike's, how do you edit/process/dispaly etc?
    Many thanks,
    Brooks

14. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Me too!

15. Anyone considering switching from Nikon to Canon for sports shots needs to look at your threads...stunning, Mike...simply stunning.

16. I was going to ask the same thing! :tongue: "Where were you standing? Inside or outside the fence??" (ok, it's a paraphrase!)

Mike, you might want to give the sensor a blast, some of those shots have some rather large dust bunnies!! :eek::tongue::biggrin:

All joking aside, these are fantastic! Sharp, well-exposed and very nicely composed!!!

17. Thanks so much I too really was happy with this shot
    Yes Gale he had an attitude to him for sure
    Frank,
    Thanks i needed the break for sure, I liek the diversity of shooting differnet events.
    Thanks to me the faces make the sports shots
    Thanks I have a ton more to post
    Hang in there it took me a good month to get the D2X dialed in and get used to it, there is a learnign curve to settings and technique but it can produce some incredible images
    Thanks Randy comign from you that means alot
    LOL.. I remmebr you saying that then you woudl have hated being me this weekend 13 games in two days
    Thanks Mason, I was able to find a spot and get the ball in frame for a few shots I thought it looked cool

18. Randy
    Thanks these werew not shot through the fence I stood behind and to the right of the catcher wheile the pitcher warmed up between innings.
    When you shoot 13 games a 4000 plus images you are bound to get a few good ones :biggrin: Seriously the old adage practice makes you better is so true
    Thanks I sure hope the parents jump onlien and buy some but the buying habits of the parents is something that one can not predict
    Thanks Brooks
    OK here is my in cam setup and my PP
    In Cam
    AF-C
    Dynamic area focus
    JPG fine
    SRGB I
    normal sharpening
    low tone compensation
    Shutter set to continuous
    Shutter release set to FPS and release
    AF-4 set to short

I try to get exposure as close to dead on in cam by using EV I usually shoot in either Matrix or center weighted and dial in plus or negative EV as needed.
    I concentrate on exposing the faces correctly and if this means blowing the backgrounds or white uniforms so be it, the faces are what is important.

PP
    Open jpg in PS
    Crop to taste, my feeling is the tighter the better and while I try to do this while shooting I do crop in post.

Use levels to adjust exposure usually by bring both the right and left sliders to the beginning of the histogram, I then adjust the center usually by dragging a little to the left

I then have a batch process that resizes and sharpens, I use to plugins from www.fredmiranda.com designed specifically for the D2X
    D2X resize
    CSpro Sharpening
    I set the the resize plugin to resize to 800 pixels on the long side
    The CSpro plugin creates the sharpening on a separate layer so after it is run you can go back and adjust the opacity to the desired effect.
    I then add a frame via Fred's framing action and that is it.
    Total time on each picture is usually less than a minute
    Thanks so much I am a firm beleiver in it si not the gear but knowing the gear you shot so it is seocond nature and also knowing the limitations of your gear
    Thanks I was inside the fence and you are so right about the dust, It hasnt rained and both my lens and camera are coated in dust from the infields I spent a god two hours cleanign everything up last night

19. Oh truly, I was just being silly...........referring to the OOF balls in some of the shots! :tongue: :biggrin:

Thank you for sharing your settings, this is very informative. Now if only I can find some baseball games to try to photograph.....