Something I'm missing on the Nikor 24-70 2.8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DearLeader, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I'm currently looking for one of these lens used (and the 70-200vr). Once in a while I see sellers say they are getting rid of it because they are moving to d700 full frame. I don't get it... what is a better option for these people pertaining to high quality zooms?

2. I don't follow the logic either. Since pro glass like the 70-200 retains it's value so well I find it a better value to buy new. I have a 24-70 2.8 on order for 1699 CDN new with a five year warranty. That 5 years of warranty and peace of mind holds a lot of value to me. Unless you are saving at least a few hundred versus new you may want to consider a shiny new one with warranty...........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. I don't own either lens but I have read that the 70-200 can vignette on Full Frame cameras. I can't imagine why they would want to sell a 24-70 to get ready for full frame?!?

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    The 24-70 was built for FX. the comment you heard had to have referred to the issues of the 70-200VR with some vignetting reported. But many users still use the lens with satisfaction I think. But reports are, it may be updated or replaced. How much faith to put into that, dunno.

5. a 24-70 for $1699 cdn?? Where are you getting that?

Best I can find is at Vistek for $1829....

6. Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  7. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    I dont see the issue with the 70-200 on the D3/FX frame...

When is the last time you have been turned down a job because the customer saw too much vignetting in your image?

I blow my sports images (shot with the 70-200) up to 24x36 and get nothing but amazing results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.