Something just for fun

Discussion in 'People' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 16, 2005.

1. My wife's business partner saw a shot in one of my photo books and thought it would be fun to do something similar. It was a shot of simply a woman's eyes as her turtle neck sweater was pulled up on her nose and her arm wrapped across her forehead leaving only her eyes exposed.

Years ago, she worked as a psychic/fortune teller at Universal Studios and still has some of her costumes, which included various scarves with coins, etc, etc. So we used one and came up with the following.

It was really just for fun as I've never done anything like this before. I was surprised at how striking the image turned out. The only pp I really did was to bump the saturation in her eyes, but only a little. She's got beautiful eyes.

We both were happy with how it turned out. I may even use it on my website just because it's different. I took a shot of this picture with my cell phone when I had it pulled up on my monitor and am using it for wallpaper. Strange, I know, but for some reason I really like it! :smile:

Should mention that this was taken with the 105/f2.5 AIS @ f5.3, 1/60. I love this lens! Used my SB-600 as main and SB-800 as fill using shoot-through umbrellas, both side by side above camera hugging the lens axis.

What do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. I see what you mean. The picture draws you to her beautiful green eyes.

3. This is a great shot, a lot of mysteries in the eyes.

Though it's quite different, somehow it reminds of the National Geographic's Afghan Girl.

4. To me, the green/gold/black contrasting colors are what really make the image. I like it.

I see the similarity to the Afghan girl, but this model's eyes are not nearly as intense, although the color is quite close.

5. It reminds me of one I did not too long ago. I would have used flash but I did not want to blind her.

6. Great shot Kevin, I love it. Her eyes are mesmerizing, well done.

7. Kevin,

That is one fantastic image! Very creative collaboration.

I've been playing with LAB mode in CS2 and used your image to fool with. I hope you don't mind. I find LAB can really put some pop in colors and boost contrast. Here's what I came up with using curves in LAB mode, followed by a slight Focus Magic sharpening:
    [​IMG]

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I can see why you like it, Kevin. Very nice image and the fact that it's not your every day shot makes it all the more interesting.

9. very cool and well thought out, I struggle so much with people shots I need to try and get better

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Awesome Kevin, and Tosh, this is just what it needed

About the only thing I would do to it would be to remove the small color spot distractions around her veil. Awesome man!

11. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    This is an amazing picture! Here eyes are just wonderful, and the whole costume / setup bring them out to the fullest.
    Tosh, you did a good PP job too. It reminds the Afghan girl in NG, but I'd be hard pressed to say which is better. Actually, I think I like this one more.

12. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    What a shot!! Would love to see the rest of her too, she looks quite tasty :)

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow Kevin,
    Very nice.

A flippin cell phone. Why are we buying all these expensive toys ....arrrggg ....lolol

Glens retouch looks good but a bit over done.

14. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Stunning

Kevin,

That is my type of shot - I ove it.

It is full of mystery and yet has great contrast and the colour in the eyes draws you.

A sure winner.

Best wishes

Ray

15. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
  16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Awesome capture, Kev...talk about being drawn directly to her eyes...WOW!

17. Wow! I'm really flattered by all the positive comments! I felt the image was really compelling personally but couldn't really explain to myself why I liked it so. To think the National Geographic image is mentioned in this context just blows me away.

I'm glad to have my reasons for liking it validated by such a great group of photogs. Thanks a lot!!