Something stronger than the 486RC2?

I currently have the Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head and it does some slipping at times. When I set it and tighten it down it does that little micro slip thing and throws the image off a bit. I think the D700 with battery grip and a large lens is too much weight for it.

I am looking for something sturdier that won't add any tremendous weight to my tripod.

Any suggestions? I am not set on a ball head, so any recommendations are welcome.

Acratech ultimate ballhead was lightweight and I believe was rated at about 25 Lbs, they have various new models out now. It served me well before going to my current Markins. I must ask how "heavy" the lens/lenses are? And what is your budget for a head?

I'd recommend a Markins (M10, M20 -- Q3 if the heaviest lens is a 70-200 and weight is a major factor), RRS (BH-40, BH-55) or Arca Swiss Z1 head. I've owned the Q3, M10, and BH-55 and think all of them are great. The Markins heads are noticeably smoother. The BH-55 is a tank but would be a significant weight increase on your tripod. All should hold gear more solidly than what you have now.

I've also owned the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, Acratech GV2, and Kirk BH-1 and think the heads in the above paragraph are all noticeably or significantly better.

All of them use Arca Swiss style plates so you would need to get new plates.

Some folks here have reported success with less expensive heads from Photoclam but I haven't tried them.

Tom,

The heaviest lens I have ( to date ) is the 70-200 2.8... as far as my budget.. I do own a credit card :biggrin:

.. but don't want to max it out either.

Acratech ultimate ballhead was lightweight and I believe was rated at about 25 Lbs, they have various new models out now. It served me well before going to my current Markins. I must ask how "heavy" the lens/lenses are? And what is your budget for a head?

Bill gave excellent recommendations above.

I went from misc. consumer heads, to the Acratech, then my current Markins M20. I have tried/used many other heads, the M20 suits me well. With the 70-200 f/2.8 VRI I previously owned it was solid. I bought my M20 used, and cannot recall how much it was now. However, it is well under the amount I lost when selling my D200 (which I bought new), and unlike the camera, I still own the head. :smile:

i second bill's recommendations. i currently own a Q3t and Q20 from markins, and highly recommend both. my very first ballhead was a manfrotto 488rc2. what a waste of time, effort and money. from there, i switched to markins. it was like going from grocery store shopping cart to a ferrari.

I run an Acratech GP on a 2531. The longest lens I would use is a 70-200. I cannot see what a Markins or RRS head would do for me that the GP doesn't. GH

Thanks all!!!

I was able to find a used Markins Q3 on eBay for a good price. We will see how it goes with that.

Don

I'd recommend a Markins (M10, M20 -- Q3 if the heaviest lens is a 70-200 and weight is a major factor), RRS (BH-40, BH-55) or Arca Swiss Z1 head. I've owned the Q3, M10, and BH-55 and think all of them are great. The Markins heads are noticeably smoother. The BH-55 is a tank but would be a significant weight increase on your tripod. All should hold gear more solidly than what you have now.

I've also owned the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, Acratech GV2, and Kirk BH-1 and think the heads in the above paragraph are all noticeably or significantly better.

All of them use Arca Swiss style plates so you would need to get new plates.

Some folks here have reported success with less expensive heads from Photoclam but I haven't tried them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom